Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How are they differentiating this ODE?

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    They give a differential equation: [itex] x' = f_a(x) = ax(1-x) [/itex]. In determining if the equilibrium points are sources or sinks, they say: We may also determine this information analytically. We have [itex] f'_a(x) = a - 2ax [/itex]

How can they differentiate with respect to x? x is a function, it doesn't represent a point on the real line. I tried assuming that they really mean [itex] x'(t) = f_a(x(t)) = ax(t)(1 - x(t)) [/itex], but that would mean that [itex] x''(t) = f'_a(x(t)) = ax'(t) - 2ax(t)x'(t) [/itex], which according to the book is wrong.

What's going on here?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Differentiating with respect to a function is not a problem.

1st pass - mistake in notation?
    Well x'=1 if we take the primed notation to indicate differentiation in x. Perhaps that's supposed to be a dot? Then I can put v = x' = dx/dt right?

That would mean that v = ax(1 - x) and and you can certainly differentiate speed with respect to space to give: dv/dx = a - 2ax

Of course this means that the notation is inconsistent.
    I think it's pretty clear that they are differentiating f with respect to x. For the first it's not so clear from the example what is intended ... I mean where they came from is something like x=(0.5)ax²(1-x)-ax+c ... which is only true for at most three values of x. So there is something missing from the description here.

2nd pass: your analysis holds but recalling that x'=dx(t)/dx=1 then x''=0 and your equation simplifies to:

0 = f'(x(t)) = a - 2ax(t)

... isn't that what they have?

3rd pass ... If the prime implies d/dt (JIC) always then ...

f = ax - ax² = x'
    f' = ax' -2ax.x' = af -2axf = ax(1-x-2x²) (check - not what they have)

I think we need context but it really looks like they have differentiated f wrt x not t.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  4. May 28, 2012 #3
    I know they're differentiating with respect to x, that's exactly what I have a problem with. As far as I know, the usual derivative of a map requires the domain to be a subset of [itex] \mathbb{R}^n [/itex], but the x that they are differentiating with respect to is a function, it's not a real number, or an n-tuple of real numbers. Shouldn't [itex] x in \mathbb{R}^n [/itex] if we're differentiating with respect to x?

5. May 29, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

So you are telling me that x is not in [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex]?
    What is it's domain then? You could, in principle, plot a graph of x vs t right?

Are you saying that if y=f(x(t)) you can't do dy/dx?

6. May 29, 2012 #5
    Wow, now I feel silly. I confused the hell outta myself, I should've known better. Thanks for the replies.

7. May 29, 2012 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No worries - you've been thinking too hard go have a drink.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook