How can a transcendental number be a base?

• Thread starter p1l0t
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base
In summary, the conversation discusses the different uses of the word "base" and clarifies that in a standard positional notation system, the base must be a positive integer greater than 1. However, it is possible for non-standard notations to use irrational and/or transcendental numbers as a base. The conversation also includes a correction to a mathematical error made in one of the examples.
p1l0t
I was recently told that base Pi can only be speculation because it irrational. However the Euler formula uses e. e is the base of the natural log and yet it is a transcendental. So is it or is it not possible for an irrational and/or transcendental number to be used as a base?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you are confusing two different uses of the word "base". We say that our usual number system is "base 10" because "1232.3" means [tex]1\times 10^3+ 2\times 10^2+ 3\times 10+ 2\times 10^0+ 3\times 10^{-1}[/tex]. And "binary" is "base 2" because 1232.3 (base 2) means [tex]1\times 2^3+ 2\times 2^2+ 3\times 2+ 2\times 2^0+ 3\times 2^{-1}[/tex] which, in base 10, would be 8+ 8+ 6+ 2+ 1/2= 24.5.

But a number being the "base" of an exponential is very different. we can take any (positive) number as a base (I put 'positive' in parentheses because while, for many values of x, a negative number to the x power is perfectly well defined, there are some values of x such that a negative number or 0 to the x power is not defined). For example, for x= 2, [itex]\pi^2[/itex]= 9.8696044010893586188344909998762...

And I think you may be misinterpreting "speculation". Of course, because [itex]\pi[/itex] is an irrational number, it cannot be written as a finite number of decimal places and cannot be written as a fraction with integer numerator and denominator so I cannot write it or [itex]\pi^2[/itex] or [itex]\pi[/itex] to any other power as a finite number or decimal places. I don't know what comes after that "09998762" that is indicated by the "...". I could theoretically use a calculator that holds a greater number of decimal places or use a computer program to extend to as many decimal places as I want but I would never get the entire value of [itex]\pi^2[/itex]. But whether or not I can write it in a specific way, I know that [itex]\pi^2[/itex] is a specific number.

Similarly, although given a number a, I cannot actually calculate [itex]a_0[/itex], [itex]a_1[/itex], [itex]a_2[/itex], ... so that [itex]a= a_0\pi^0+ a_1\pi^1+ a_2\pi^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex] but I know that such number exist so that I can, in fact, write any number in "base [itex]\pi[/itex]".

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
p1l0t said:
I was recently told that base Pi can only be speculation because it irrational. However the Euler formula uses e. e is the base of the natural log and yet it is a transcendental. So is it or is it not possible for an irrational and/or transcendental number to be used as a base?
As Halls said, you should be aware that the same English word often refers to multiple distinct concepts. "Base" is used as a description of different number representations (e.g. binary numbers are base 2, hexadecimal numbers are base 16). "Base" is also used to denote the number which is raised to a power in exponentiation.

The previous discussion (and the first sentence quoted here) referred to the first meaning. In "base N", the N must be a natural number. The Euler formula and so forth use e as the base referring to the second meaning.

p1l0t said:
In a standard positional notation system, the base (or "radix") must be a positive integer greater than 1 and all of the digits must be non-negative integers less than the base. However, non-standard notations exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-integer_representation

HallsofIvy said:
And "binary" is "base 2" because 1232.3 (base 2) means [tex]1\times 2^3+ 2\times 2^2+ 3\times 2+ 2\times 2^0+ 3\times 2^{-1}[/tex] which, in base 10, would be 8+ 8+ 6+ 2+ 1/2= 24.5.
Well, that's the first time I've seen a 2 and a 3 in binary!

In any case, your arithmetic is wrong. Please read your posts before posting! :tongue:

skiller said:
Well, that's the first time I've seen a 2 and a 3 in binary!

In any case, your arithmetic is wrong. Please read your posts before posting! :tongue:

Actually you are right binary would be all 1s and 0s but I knew what he meant. I actually do know the differences between the types of bases too but I did incorrectly assume the wrong type of base. I even thanked Halls for his answer but maybe it does need an edit.

I never was any good at arithmetic! Thanks, skiller, for that correction. It is now too late to edit so I can't pretend I didn't make that foolish mistake.

1. What is a transcendental number?

A transcendental number is a real number that is not the root of any non-zero polynomial equation with integer coefficients. In other words, it is a number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers or as a root of a polynomial equation.

2. How is a transcendental number different from a rational number?

A rational number is a number that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, while a transcendental number cannot. Rational numbers have a finite or repeating decimal representation, while transcendental numbers have an infinite and non-repeating decimal representation.

3. Can a transcendental number be used as a base?

Yes, a transcendental number can be used as a base in a number system. However, the resulting number system would not be a positional system like the commonly used decimal or binary systems. It would be more complex and not as easy to work with.

4. Why would someone want to use a transcendental number as a base?

Using a transcendental number as a base can be useful in certain mathematical or scientific calculations. It can also be used in creating unique and complex number systems for specific purposes, such as in cryptography or computer programming.

5. Are there any practical applications of using a transcendental number as a base?

Yes, there are practical applications of using a transcendental number as a base. For example, the golden ratio, which is a transcendental number, has been used in art, architecture, and design to create aesthetically pleasing compositions. It has also been used in finance and economics to model natural growth processes.