How can I calculate my savings with varying deposits using the interest formula?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Unassuming
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formula Interest
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Unassuming
Messages
165
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Using the following savings formula, where d is a uniform deposit, i= (interest rate)/(# times compounded per year), n is the total times compounded.

As I understand it, this formula will tell me how much I will have after depositing a certain amount of money per compounding period given an interest rate and time.

How can I take into account the situation where I start off by depositing a large sum like $5000, and then make uniform deposit during every compounding period?

Homework Equations



I am using the savings formula,

[tex]A=d(\frac{(1+i)^n-1}{i})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use that formula one the first amount, the same formula, with the time one month less, on the amount deposited for the second month, the formula with the time two months less for the amount deposited on the third month, etc. and then add them all.