How Can I Deepen My Understanding of High School Level Mathematics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Not millenial
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Study
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Not millenial
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello, I'm studying Mathematics, Applied Mathematics and Physics at something roughly slightly less detailed than a-levels (Leaving Certificate). The applied mathematics isn't a problem at all, and the "understanding" clicks properly for me. However, in mathematics I find that it sometimes comes down to memorizing methods than a true understanding. I don't want to go into college level detail, and we haven't started Calculus yet (we will be doing it soon). I'm just looking at general pointers for going into slightly more detailed mathematics, with more opportunity for understanding at roughly the A-level/High School level.

I've looked around and haven't seen anything specific to this, sorry if I'm wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not millenial said:
Hello, I'm studying Mathematics, Applied Mathematics and Physics at something roughly slightly less detailed than a-levels (Leaving Certificate). The applied mathematics isn't a problem at all, and the "understanding" clicks properly for me. However, in mathematics I find that it sometimes comes down to memorizing methods than a true understanding. I don't want to go into college level detail, and we haven't started Calculus yet (we will be doing it soon). I'm just looking at general pointers for going into slightly more detailed mathematics, with more opportunity for understanding at roughly the A-level/High School level.

I've looked around and haven't seen anything specific to this, sorry if I'm wrong.

Can you give an example where you feel you are memorising the mathematics without understanding?
 
PeroK said:
Can you give an example where you feel you are memorising the mathematics without understanding?
It's not even like that, it's like I'm memorizing methods - I understand why they work but I just feel like I'm missing something. I don't know how to explain it. There was a piece in algebra to do with the minus b formula, where you use the -b2+4ac just to figure something out. I'll have a look for it.