How can I self-study physics, biology, and calculus in high school?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in studying physics and other related subjects in high school. They mention their previous completion of science and math courses, including a strong understanding of Newtonian physics. They express a desire to learn more about General relativity, special relativity, string-theory, and M-theory, but acknowledge their rusty knowledge in physics and lack of mathematical skills necessary for graduate level work. They seek advice on how to continue teaching themselves and express their familiarity with entropy. The conversation ends with recommendations to focus on learning calculus and mastering trigonometry as well as suggestions for textbooks and online resources.
Colonelhaakah
Due to the suggestion by Crosson, I'm making another thread. Basically, I'm curious what I can do to study physics and anything else I might need in high school.

Science Courses I've Completed:

-Physical Science ( elementary Chemistry + Newtonian Physics basically)
-Biology
-Chemistry
-NJROTC Physical Sciences (Dealt with Electricity, motion, buoyancy, etc. Anything useful for the Navy)

Mathematics Courses I've Completed

-Algebra I
-Algebra II (I want to say it included statistics)
-Geometry (included some trig)

Relevant Courses I'll be taking for my Junior year:

-AP Biology
-Pre-Calculus

Basically, I have a pretty good understanding of Newtonian physics. I still haven't memorized all the formulas.

I've read a good bit on General relativity and special relativity, but I wouldn't mind reviewing it.

I've seen stuff about string-theory and M-theory on the Science Channel. No real formal study in it.

The mental aspect of physics (understanding how things are) is easy for me. I have zero problem wrapping my mind around the actual concepts.

I understand red shift, etc. I'm pretty familiar with "big bang" concepts. I understand black holes somewhat.

I'm rusty on all of my physics knowledge however, and I don't have the mathematical knowledge to jump straight into graduate level work.

So, any help in teaching myself more Physics, biology, and calculus would be greatly appreciated.

However, my worst problem is I don't know what I don't know yet. So I have no clue what I understand compared to all the information available.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: I'm also extremely familiar with entropy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure why you're talking about graduate-level work - you're still about 6 years from there. And if you haven't even taken pre-calc yet, let alone calculus, you probably don't know nearly as much as you think you do.

Sounds like you'll be ready to take calculus-based intro physics when you get to college. I know it's tempting to skip it, based on your high school work and studying, but there's a good chance you missed something along the way. If you want to skip it, get a copy of Serway or Knight's intro physics books and work your way through those. You may need a little bit of calculus, or at least a basic understanding of it, so try that as well. I can't recommend a book there; I can't remember what I used, and I didn't like it anyway.

Since you're taking AP Bio this coming year, I would just suggest learning what is taught to you in that field--the course should be just what you need for understanding and learning the subject.

As for physics, I would suggest learning calculus first and mastering trig, since both of them are extremely relevant in physics. I suppose you could learn physics without knowing calculus, but it would sure be helpful. I am personally self-teaching myself calculus-based physics this year with Halliday, Resnick, and Krane's Physics textbook, which I have found to be excellent. Along with the book, I've been supplementing it with MIT's Open Courseware lectures on physics (http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-01Physics-IFall1999/CourseHome/index.htm ) to ensure that everything is well learned.

But, as I said, learning calc would make physics much easier (unless you simply want an understanding of the science, which is available from popular science books such as Brian Greene's books and others). I've only used a few calculus books, and I was in a class, so I don't really have any suggestions on which books would be best to self study from. I would check out Mathwonk's stickied thread in this forum for advice on books, since he has a bunch of suggestions in there.

In any case, good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
eri said:
... get a copy of Serway or Knight's intro physics books and work your way through those

Alienjoey said:
...I suppose you could learn physics without knowing calculus, but it would sure be helpful.

My high school used Serway (and Faughn, i think it was) College Physics textbook for noncalculus based AP Physics B. I'd also think it a good place to start, at least for now

1. How can self-studying benefit me in high school?

Self-studying in high school can benefit you in various ways. It allows you to take control of your own learning and pace, which can lead to a deeper understanding of the material. It also helps improve time management and self-discipline skills, which are important for success in both high school and beyond.

2. What subjects are suitable for self-studying in high school?

Almost any subject can be self-studied in high school, but it is important to choose subjects that you are genuinely interested in and motivated to learn. It is also helpful to have some background knowledge in the subject before attempting to self-study it.

3. How can I stay motivated while self-studying in high school?

Staying motivated while self-studying can be challenging, but there are a few strategies you can try. Set realistic goals and reward yourself when you achieve them. Create a study schedule and stick to it. Find a study partner or join a study group to keep yourself accountable and motivated.

4. How do I know if I am understanding the material while self-studying?

One way to check your understanding while self-studying is to regularly assess yourself through practice questions or quizzes. You can also try teaching the material to someone else, as this will help you identify any gaps in your understanding.

5. Are there any disadvantages to self-studying in high school?

While self-studying can have many benefits, there are also some potential disadvantages. It can be challenging to stay motivated and on track without the structure and guidance of a traditional classroom setting. It may also be difficult to find resources and support for more advanced or specialized subjects. It is important to carefully consider these factors before deciding to self-study in high school.