How Can I Design a Micro-Tensile Tester for Human Hair?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
MightyG
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
looking to design and hopefully build a micro-tensile tester to test the properties of human hair.

as part of my uni class I need to design the grippers involved and have a look at non contact extensiometers.

Could anyone point me in the right direction with some links or books? or even provide some first hand info?

the problems I can think of atm that I don't have much of an idea how to get about are measurement of the test piece and the fact that the cross sectional area of bio-materials normally reduces dramatically with extension so the could possibly slip out of the grips.

any help would be very appreciated :)
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi there
Even i am doing a very similar project. Could you please help me with it.

MightyG said:
looking to design and hopefully build a micro-tensile tester to test the properties of human hair.

as part of my uni class I need to design the grippers involved and have a look at non contact extensiometers.

Could anyone point me in the right direction with some links or books? or even provide some first hand info?

the problems I can think of atm that I don't have much of an idea how to get about are measurement of the test piece and the fact that the cross sectional area of bio-materials normally reduces dramatically with extension so the could possibly slip out of the grips.

any help would be very appreciated :)