How Can I Determine ε and σ for Lennard Jones Potential in an FCC Structure?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Helpless guy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Potential
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Helpless guy
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have a fcc structure, the net parametre is 4.46*10-10m, the potential energy/mol is -1.88kJ/mol. My task is to find the parametres ε and σ of the potential.

Homework Equations



Φ=-4ε[(σ/r)6+(σ/r)12]

The Attempt at a Solution


I can find the value of r using the net paramentre; r=[(√2)/4]*a.
If I divide the potential energy/mol by 6.02*1023 I can find the potential energy/atom, but I still have only one equation with both of the parametres to determine.
I have to find another equation with one or both paramentres, but I don't know where to find it.

All sugestions are appreciated.
Thank you very much.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You know that this distance r in your material is at a special point of the potential. Otherwise the distance would increase or decrease.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Helpless guy
Helpless guy said:

Homework Statement


I have a fcc structure, the net parametre is 4.46*10-10m, the potential energy/mol is -1.88kJ/mol. My task is to find the parametres ε and σ of the potential.

Homework Equations



Φ=-4ε[(σ/r)6+(σ/r)12]

There is a mistake in the formula. It should be Φ=-4ε[(σ/r)6-(σ/r)12]
Helpless guy said:

The Attempt at a Solution


I can find the value of r using the net paramentre; r=[(√2)/4]*a.
If I divide the potential energy/mol by 6.02*1023 I can find the potential energy/atom, but I still have only one equation with both of the parametres to determine.
I have to find another equation with one or both paramentres, but I don't know where to find it.

All sugestions are appreciated.
Thank you very much.
The neighbouring atoms are arranged at such distance from each other where the L-J potential is minimum. Find the derivative of Φ and make it equal to zero: this gives you an additional equation.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Helpless guy