How Can I Determine Vegetable Oil Concentration in Aerated Emulsions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter androol
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Oil Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
androol
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
I've been trying to determine the concentration of a vegie oil (0.9 g/mL) in dilute(~2,4 w%) oil-water emulsions that are badly aerated and with gas bubbles.

I tried the density method, weighing the samples and then vacuum suck them to rid the bubbles - in order to get an accurate volume reading. But then I realized that water was vaporizing a little. and the dilute samples make the determination really hard.

Is there a way that's fast and easy to do that? chromotography?

Please help me... on my knees...
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Add THF or a mixture of ethyl acetate and ethanol to break the emulsion. The water should be easy to determine on the diluted sample using a Karl-Fisher titration.