How can I easily Uncouple this slide and lock on an office chair?

In summary, the chair's snap ring gets compressed when the shaft is inserted into the hole, and then expands when fully inserted, locking the shaft in place. The next step is to try to find "Customer Service" at the chair manufacturer or distributor.
12john
While my hunky husband was lifting the chair up, and my brawny brother pushing the frame down, I kept hitting the top of the slide with a screwdriver, to try to loosen the slide. But these parts are still wedged too tightly! We ran out of energy and ideas! How can we life hack this please?

Colored Edited Diagram.jpg

GIF from this video. Illustration from this PDF. Chair manufacturer's page list these both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What are you trying to do?
Fully diassemble the chair, or just separating top, column and base?
Could the person that assembled bottom and back of the top reverse steps 4b and 4a?
It is not clear how are those, or what that "click" means, as per the published assembly manual.

I can't accesss the video or assembly manual, but the "click" referenced by @Lnewqban reminds me of a snap ring on a shaft.

The snap ring gets slightly compressed when the shaft is inserted into a hole, when fully inserted the snap ring expands into a groove in the hole.

An alternate implementation is that the shaft shown with a split in the end compresses as it enters the hole. Then expands when fully inserted, locking in place, again with a ring-and-groove approach.

Try squeezing the split shaft together with a pair of pliers while trying to pull the shaft out.

Please let us know any results... or lack thereof!

Good Luck,
Tom

p.s. Next step, try to find 'Customer Service' at the mfg. or distributor... or look at another non-assembled chair to see what the heck is going on.

p.p.s Dealers list can be found here:
https://www.stressless.com/en/services/find-dealer

Other Services can be found at the bottom of this page:
https://shop.stressless.com/en/c/accessories

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
WD40 (be careful with the textile, it may damage/stain it: use it only on the metal parts)
Stronger screwdriver/chisel, and a delicate but firm smack with a hammer

Ps.: no, not a chisel. Sorry. How is that chisel-like tool called with a blunt tip:doh:

Rive said:
How is that chisel-like tool called with a blunt tip
Punch.

Likes Rive
I would have called it the you need to sharpen your chisel bucko but ok punch works too.

1. How do I uncouple the slide and lock on my office chair?

To uncouple the slide and lock on an office chair, you will need to locate the lever or button that controls the locking mechanism. This is typically located on the underside of the chair near the base. Once you find the lever or button, press or pull it to release the lock and allow the chair to slide freely.

2. Why won't my office chair unlock and slide?

If your office chair won't unlock and slide, there may be an issue with the locking mechanism. Check to make sure the lever or button is not stuck or jammed. You may also need to apply some lubricant to the mechanism to help it move more easily. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to replace the locking mechanism or seek professional help.

3. Is there a specific technique for uncoupling the slide and lock on an office chair?

While the specific technique may vary depending on the type of office chair you have, the general process for uncoupling the slide and lock is the same. Locate the lever or button, press or pull it to release the lock, and then gently push or pull the chair to slide it into the desired position. If you are having difficulty, refer to the chair's manual or contact the manufacturer for assistance.

4. Can I adjust the tension of the slide and lock on my office chair?

Yes, many office chairs allow you to adjust the tension of the slide and lock mechanism. This can typically be done by turning a knob or using a tool to adjust the tension of the spring inside the mechanism. Refer to your chair's manual for specific instructions on how to adjust the tension.

5. How often should I uncouple and lock my office chair?

It is recommended to uncouple and lock your office chair as needed to adjust the seat to your desired position. However, it is important to regularly check and maintain the locking mechanism to ensure it is functioning properly. If you notice any issues or difficulty with the mechanism, it may be necessary to uncouple and lock your chair more frequently.

Back