How Can I Extend the Lifespan of My QLC SSD?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bhobba
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 3K views
Messages
11,160
Reaction score
4,008
Hi All

SSDs have become incredibly fast and are now really affordable. My dirt-cheap (I have seen it as low as $78.00 here in Aus when on sale) Silicon Power 1TB SSD, as tested with CrystalDiskMark, achieves over 7 GB/s read and slightly less write speed. Their reliability, however, is not the best, as they utilise the less expensive QLC technology.
https://www.purestorage.com/knowledge/what-is-qlc-flash.html

A friend finds he has to replace his every year. He could get a longer-lasting Samsung 990 Pro (at over twice the price), which was my suggestion until I came up with what I now do. But the cost - yuck (although this is something where deals abound and one or an equivalent SSD can be had sometimes close to the usual Silicon Power price)

I got a program called Primocache:
https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/index.html

It has many uses you can read about. However, my primary use is to reduce stress on the SSD, allowing it to last longer.

I allocate 4GB of RAM as a write-only cache. Reading from cache is unnecessary, as Windows handles this task automatically. However, due to the risk of power failure, it flushes writes every 2 seconds. There is a lot of writing that can be drastically improved by better cashing. I use the option to flush the cache when it reaches over 40% usage, until it is at 20% usage. During a regular daily session, such as browsing the internet, it has never reached 40% and writes the cache when I shut down Windows. The number of Trims performed in memory, rather than on the disk, is impressive - I have seen it exceed 100,000 after just a couple of hours of use. One exception is when installing a program; writes can overflow it. I increase it to an overkill 32GB when doing that.

Of course, you need a laptop or a UPS.

I just thought I would pass this on, as I have noticed a significant drop in SSD writes since implementing this change, which should increase the lifespan of my SSD. Being relatively inexpensive these days, it is not a significant drain on the wallet; however, having to replace it is a nuisance.

You may think that writing to memory would make the PC faster. However, due to the insane write speeds, I have not noticed any difference. It makes you wonder what use Gen 5 SSDs will be.

Thanks
Bill
 
Physics news on Phys.org