How can I find the length of segment AB using the given line and planes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter adrimare
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Length
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
adrimare
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
1. The problem statement:

The line r=(-8,-6,-1) + s(2,2,1) intersects the xz- and yz-coordinates planes at points A and B, respectively. Determine the length of line segment AB.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I know that for the line, x= -8 + 2s, y= -6 + 2s, and z= -1 + s. I think the normals to the xz- and yz- planes are (0,1,0) and (1,0,0) respectively. Do I just stick the parametric equations of the line into the Cartesian equation of each of the planes to get something or do I have to use different numbers?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
adrimare said:
1. The problem statement:

The line r=(-8,-6,-1) + s(2,2,1) intersects the xz- and yz-coordinates planes at points A and B, respectively. Determine the length of line segment AB.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I know that for the line, x= -8 + 2s, y= -6 + 2s, and z= -1 + s. I think the normals to the xz- and yz- planes are (0,1,0) and (1,0,0) respectively. Do I just stick the parametric equations of the line into the Cartesian equation of each of the planes to get something or do I have to use different numbers?


Knowing the normals to the two coordinate planes isn't useful in this problem, but something that is useful is that every point on the x-z plane has a y coordinate of 0. There is a similar property for every point on the y-z plane. Can you use this information in your problem?
 
You know that the line intersections points A and B, and that these points are on, respectively, the x-z and y-z coordinate planes. What do you know about point A? Point B?
 
That A has a y-value of 0 and B has an x-value of 0. Now what?