How can I fix unwanted vertical space after figures in $\LaTeX$?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
Jameson
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
Messages
4,533
Reaction score
13
Hello everyone.

I'm typing up a report in $\LaTeX$ and I'm having trouble with some unwanted space. Here is what it looks like with the extra space marked by the reddish rectangles.

2mha1vt.png


The images themselves don't have excessive vertical space below them.

2m5au6b.png


On the previous page I have included figures that don't have any vertical space issues.
2rpfk0y.png


To include these I'm using the following code:

Code:
\centerline{\includegraphics[scale=.5]{Retail_Sales_dividebypop.png}}

I've read online that \centerline isn't advised to use but it's worked fine for me up until this point. I've tried using negative vspace but that doesn't do anything either.

The only thing I can think of is that the scaling adds more space. In second set of figures they are scaled lower, as you can see by this code:

Code:
\centerline{\includegraphics[scale=.1]{nasdaq_graph.png}}

Maybe the .1 scale factor leaves less room than .5? Any insight or help would be much appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[SOLVED]! I wasn't cropping the images correctly, leaving extra vertical space. I might delete this thread later but am considering keeping just to have an example thread on vertical spacing. :o