How can I prove the inequality A(B-A) <= (B/2)^2 for 0 <= A <= B?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ausdreamer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inequality
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
ausdreamer
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



If 0 <= A <= B, prove that: A(B-A) <= (B/2)^2

Homework Equations



-

The Attempt at a Solution



I've been blindly rearranging the terms trying to see a way to prove this but due to my complete lack of experience in proofs, I'm hoping someone here can give a little push in a helpful direction.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
try opening the brackets and taking all the terms to one side. it'll become square of a number.
but i dnt understand how 0>=a>=b are essential conditions for this. square of any real no would always be positive
 
The cases where [itex]A = 0[/itex] and [itex]A = B[/itex] should be obvious. For the rest, [itex]0 < A < B[/itex], think geometrically.