How can I solve the 2nd order PDE for \beta^{(0)} in geochemical thermodynamics?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter presentt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    2nd order Pde
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
presentt
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi, I've spent days trying to solve some equations in a paper (referenced below) that describes it as a "straightforward, albeit lengthy integration," but I can't work out the "straightforward" bit. The notation is also odd, which doesn't seem to help my problem. Perhaps someone could help?

I am trying to solve for the function [tex]\beta^{(0)}[/tex], which is a function of T and P (though P is held constant). Ultimately, I need a value of [tex]\beta^{(0)}[/tex] at a specific temperature T.

I am given in the paper:
[tex]\beta^{(0)L}=(\frac{\partial\beta^{(0)}}{\partial T})_{P}[/tex]
[tex]\beta^{(0)J}=(\frac{\partial\beta^{(0)L}}{\partial T})_{P}+(2/T)\beta^{(0)L}[/tex]

Also given,
[tex]\beta^{(0)J}=6U_{5}+\frac{2U_{6}}{T}+\frac{U_{7}}{T^{2}}+\frac{526U_{8}}{T(T-263)^{3}}[/tex]
where the U values are empirical constants.

I (think) I managed to solve the following expression for [tex]\beta^{(0)}[/tex]:
[tex]\beta^{(0)}=\int\beta^{(0)J}\frac{T}{1+2ln(T)}\partial T[/tex]
but I cannot figure out how to integrate that expression.

Thus, I also tried to express the functions as a PDE:
[tex]\beta^{(0)J}=(\frac{\partial^{2}\beta^{(0)}}{\partial T^{2}})_{P}+\frac{2}{T}(\frac{\partial\beta^{(0)}}{\partial T})_{P}[/tex]
and then substitute the U-series empirical expression of [tex]\beta^{(0)J}[/tex] and subtract it from each side. However, I am as at much of a loss to solve that expression for [tex]\beta^{(0)}[/tex] as the integral expression above.

Can anyone help me out at all? These equations are important to work out some geochemical thermodynamics I need to set up an experiment.

Reference:
Rogers, P. S. Z. and Pitzer, K. S., High-Temperature Thermodynamic Properties of Aqueous Sodium-Sulfate Solutions. Journal of Physical Chemistry 85 (20), 2886 (1981).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
presentt said:
a "straightforward, albeit lengthy integration,"

In fact, the method that comes into my mind is VERY lenghty:

1) First, decompose the T(T-263)^3 term with Hermite theorem:

[tex]\frac{526U_8}{T(T-263)^3}=\frac{a_1}{T}+\frac{a_2}{(T-263)^3}+\frac{a_3}{(T-263)^2}+\frac{a_4}{(T-263)}[/tex]

To find the coefficients a_1 match the two sides, you should find (I made the calculations very quickly, so I don't guarantee that's correct)

[tex]a_1=-\frac{526U_8}{(263)^3}[/tex]

[tex]a_2=\frac{526U_8}{263}[/tex]

[tex]a_3=-\frac{526U_8}{(263)^2}[/tex]

[tex]a_4=\frac{2\cdot 526U_8}{(263)^3}[/tex]

2) Now try the ansatz:

[tex]\beta^{(0)L}=b_1T+b_2+b_3\log T+b_4/T+b_5/T^2+b_6/(T-263)+b_7/(T-263)^2+b_8/(T-263)^3[/tex]

Calculate the derivative of this and substitute into the differential equation for [tex]\beta^{(0)L}[/tex], finding in this way the coefficients b_i.

3) Finally, to find [tex]\beta^{(0)J}[/tex], simply integrate, which should be simple because [tex]\beta^{(0)L}[/tex] is a sum of things easy to integrate.

4) I'm afraid this procedure will cost you half a day...!
 
presentt said:
[tex]\beta^{(0)L}=(\frac{\partial\beta^{(0)}}{\partial T})_{P}[/tex]
[tex]\beta^{(0)J}=(\frac{\partial\beta^{(0)L}}{\partial T})_{P}+(2/T)\beta^{(0)L}[/tex]

Multiply the second equation by an integrating factor [itex]\mu(T)[/itex], demanding that the right hand side is of the product rule form u v' + u' v. This gives an easy DE for mu, but you can also just check that [itex]\mu = T^2[/itex] will work. You thus have

[tex]T^2 \beta^{(0)J} = \frac{\partial}{\partial T}(T^2\beta^{(0)L}).[/tex]

Integrating,

[tex]\beta^{(0)L}(T,P) = \left(\frac{T_0}{T}\right)^2\beta^{(0)L}(T_0,P) + \frac{1}{T^2} \int_{T_0}^T dt~t^2 \beta^{(0)J}(t)[/tex]
where the pressure dependence enters as the initial condition on beta^L.

Since [itex]\beta^{(0)L}[/itex] is just a derivative of [itex]\beta^{(0)}[/itex], you can just integrate again,

[tex]\beta^{(0)}(T,P) = \beta^{(0)}(T_0,P) + T_0^2\beta^{(0)L}(T_0,P)\left(\frac{1}{T_0}-\frac{1}{T}\right) + \int_{T_0}^T \frac{d\tau}{\tau^2}~\int_{T_0}^\tau dt~t^2 \beta^{(0)J}(t)[/tex]

This might not be the most pleasant set of integrals to do, but it looks like they should be doable in closed form.
 
Last edited: