How Can the Spring Equation for a Chain of Springs be Solved?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Spring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,662
Reaction score
372
There is a chain of springs, such that qk is the displacement of the kth mass in this chain.

We have the next equation of Newton second law, where T is the tension force:
[tex]\frac{d^2q_k}{dt^2}=T(q_{k+1}-q_k)-T(q_k-q_{k-1})[/tex]
Let Qk=qk+1-qk

I showed that if Q(t)k=Q(k-ct)=Q(s)

then we get the next ODE:
(1)[tex]c^2 Q''(s)=T(s+1)-2T(s)+T(s-1)[/tex]
I need to show that the solution is:
[tex]Q(s)=\int_{s-1}^{s+1} (1-|s-z|)T(z)dz[/tex]
by direct integration i.e integrating (1) or by Fourier transform.

I tried both but I get stuck, by direct integration I get:

[tex]c^2Q(s)= \int^{s} \int^{x} [T(z+1)-2T(z)+T(z-1)] dz dx[/tex]
don't know how to proceed from here, can anyone give a helping hand? (-:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I also tried the Fourier transform I got to:
[tex]Q(s)=FT(FT^-1(T(s))*\frac{sin^2(w/2)}{(w/2)^2})[/tex]

I tried mathematica to solve this, but I am not sure how to write it with an implicit function as FT^-1(T(s)).
 
I wonder about equation (1). Since:

[tex]\frac{d^2Q_k}{\text{dt}^2}=T\left(Q_{k+1}\right)-2T\left(Q_k\right)+T\left(Q_{k-1}\right)[/tex]

So, we have:

[tex]c^2 Q''(s)=T(Q(s+1))-2T(Q(s))+T(Q(s-1))[/tex]

instead of

[tex]c^2 Q''(s)=T(s+1)-2T(s)+T(s-1)[/tex]

Please clarify.
 
What are the equations if you have k = 2 springs? Using your equations you would have displacements q0, q1, q2, and q3 involving 4 displacements and only two equations.