How can we know why things turn darker when they wet?

• Thread starter princezephyr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of information available on an experiment related to the darkening of materials when wet. The individual is looking for either an explanation or a way to conduct the experiment. Suggestions are made to take photos and test different materials to analyze the effect, and one possibility is that diffuse reflection and the critical angle of the liquid may play a role in the brightness.
princezephyr
I have searched for the experiment (like how to do it) related to how we can know why things turn darker when they wet and found nothing. All I found is the conclusion and it's not what I'm searching for. If i just pour some water on a cloth and sum up the experiment it doesn't seem right... Anyone please kindly helps me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you look for an explanation, or for a way to conduct an experiment?
princezephyr said:
If i just pour some water on a cloth and sum up the experiment it doesn't seem right
Why not? Make photos to analyze them, test different materials (not all will show the same effect).

One paper proposes that diffuse reflection from the material is internally reflected off the surface of the water (so less is available to reach your eys). If that's the cause then perhaps increasing the depth of the water or using a liquid with a different critical angle would make a difference to the brightness?

1. How does water cause objects to appear darker?

Water has a different refractive index than air, which means that it bends light differently. When light enters an object, some of it is absorbed and some of it is reflected. Water molecules are able to absorb more light than air molecules, causing objects to appear darker when wet.

2. Why do some objects turn darker when they are wet while others do not?

The ability of an object to appear darker when wet depends on its surface properties. Objects with a smooth, non-porous surface tend to reflect more light and therefore do not appear darker when wet. However, objects with a rough, porous surface have more spaces for water to fill in, increasing the amount of light absorption and resulting in a darker appearance.

3. Does the color of an object affect how much darker it appears when wet?

Yes, the color of an object can impact how much darker it appears when wet. Darker colors tend to absorb more light, so they will appear even darker when wet. On the other hand, lighter colors reflect more light and may not appear as dark when wet.

4. Can the temperature of the water affect how dark an object appears when wet?

Yes, the temperature of the water can affect the appearance of an object when wet. Cold water molecules are closer together and can absorb more light, resulting in a darker appearance. Warm water molecules, on the other hand, are further apart and do not absorb as much light, resulting in a less drastic change in appearance when an object is wet.

5. Is there a scientific explanation for why objects appear darker when wet?

Yes, the scientific explanation for why objects appear darker when wet involves the interaction between water molecules and light. As mentioned before, water molecules have a higher ability to absorb light compared to air molecules. When water comes into contact with an object, it fills in the spaces between its molecules, increasing the amount of light absorption and making the object appear darker.