How Can You Prove the Grunberg-Nissan Equation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter syki
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
syki
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Prove:

ln(η) = Σ[xi*ln(ηi)]

2. The attempt at a solution

I tried using the relationship:

Σ(xi)=1

and the rules for adding logarithms, but I seem to be totally failing at this. I'm not asking to have it worked out, but any hints on which direction I should go?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
From what I understand this is a semiempirical equation, so there is nothing to prove - you can at best test its applicability experimentally.
 
I was told to, specifically, prove the relationship:

ln(η) ≈ x1*ln(η1) + x2*ln(η2)

is true mathematically. I'm not really sure how to go about that.