How could this,Sigma0 decay into Lambda and gamma, happens?

Main Question or Discussion Point

I found an article, titled Electromagnetic Decay of the Σ0(1385) to Λγ , in the arXiv telling that the reaction
Σ0→Λ+γ
can happen through electromagnetic interaction. However, if I examine the conservation of parity. Parity on the left side is even(P(Σ0)=+), but that on the right side is odd(P(Λ)=+, while P(γ)=-). In this sense, the parity conservation is violated. In addition, I am convinced that the parity is conserved under electromagnetic interaction, so this reaction by no means can exist.

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Those are the intrinsic parities of the particle states. You also need to consider the parity of the wave-function of the final state.

Likes HanningWu
Those are the intrinsic parities of the particle states. You also need to consider the parity of the wave-function of the final state.
Thank you so much! Problem solved. :biggrin:

Since I can't simply multiply the parity of the Lambda bayon and the photon, how can I calculate the parity of the final state?

You can, but you also have to multiply it with the parity of the wave-function combining the two particles.

You can, but you also have to multiply it with the parity of the wave-function combining the two particles.
Does "the parity of the wave-function combining the two particle" mean the parity valued (-1)L, where L is the orbital quantum number?

Right.