Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How could this,Sigma0 decay into Lambda and gamma, happens?

1. Nov 9, 2015 #1
    I found an article, titled Electromagnetic Decay of the Σ0(1385) to Λγ , in the arXiv telling that the reaction
    Σ0→Λ+γ
    can happen through electromagnetic interaction. However, if I examine the conservation of parity. Parity on the left side is even(P(Σ0)=+), but that on the right side is odd(P(Λ)=+, while P(γ)=-). In this sense, the parity conservation is violated. In addition, I am convinced that the parity is conserved under electromagnetic interaction, so this reaction by no means can exist.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Those are the intrinsic parities of the particle states. You also need to consider the parity of the wave-function of the final state.

4. Nov 9, 2015 #3
    Thank you so much! Problem solved. :biggrin:

5. Nov 9, 2015 #4
    Since I can't simply multiply the parity of the Lambda bayon and the photon, how can I calculate the parity of the final state?

6. Nov 9, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can, but you also have to multiply it with the parity of the wave-function combining the two particles.

7. Nov 9, 2015 #6
    Does "the parity of the wave-function combining the two particle" mean the parity valued (-1)L, where L is the orbital quantum number?

8. Nov 10, 2015 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook