1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How did they get |x|=±x? How did they know y=0 is also a solution?

1. Mar 13, 2013 #1
    Consider example 3 in the attachment. Better quality version: http://postimage.org/image/fjz61dbyr/

How did they get ##|x|=±x##? If I remember correctly, I was told on physics forums that ##|x|≠±x##. The curious thing about this one is that it doesn't even involve square roots!

How did they know y=0 is also a solution?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

They didn't.

They have |y| = eCe(1/3)x3 = Ae(1/3)x3, where A is a positive constant.

This means that y = Ae(1/3)x3 or y = -Ae(1/3)x3, with A again being positive.
    By noticing that y = 0 satisfies the differential equation.

4. Mar 13, 2013 #3

eumyang

Homework Helper

If we are talking about functions and graphs, then the graph of y = |x| isn't the same as the graph of y = ±x. But this is something different. It's essentially an absolute value equation, where if [itex]| x | = b[/itex] then [itex]x = \pm b[/itex].

5. Mar 13, 2013 #4
    I don't understand how you went from:

to:

without the use that ##|x|=±x## where x is anything (not the same x in the example).

$$y=A{ e }^{ \frac { { x }^{ 3 } }{ 3 } },\quad A>0\\ Set\quad y=0\\ 0=A{ e }^{ \frac { { x }^{ 3 } }{ 3 } }$$

But there is no solution?

6. Mar 13, 2013 #5

Mark44

Let's make it simple. Assuming that B is a positive number, the equation |y| = B is equivalent to y = B or y = -B.

That's all they did.

The original differential equation is y' = x2y.
    Notice that if y = 0, then y' = 0, so substituting this function and its derivative into the differential equation yields a true statement. That means that y = 0 is a solution of the DE.

7. Mar 13, 2013 #6
    But that's not the equation. The equation is the first one: dy/dx = x^2y, y=0 satisfy the equation.

8. Mar 13, 2013 #7
    So in other words, you're using the fact that ##|y|=B## is the same as writing ##y=±B##, right?

Like this?

$$\frac { dy }{ dx } ={ x }^{ 2 }y\\ Set\quad y=0\\ \frac { dy }{ dx } =0\\ ∴\quad when\quad y=0,\quad y'=0$$

And then we substitute ##y=0## and ##y'=0## back into the differential equation to get a true statement? But we got those values from the DE, so obviously it will be true... Isn't this circular logic?

9. Mar 13, 2013 #8
    What does it mean for a function to be a solution to a differential equation?

10. Mar 13, 2013 #9
    Assuming that a differential equation works like a regular equation, a solution is one that consists of 3 values: one for x, one for y, and one for y' that satisfy the equation when plugged in.

11. Mar 13, 2013 #10
    Okay, so I get that y=0 satisfies the DE.

But why is it implied that just because it satisfies the DE, that the solution also works for y=0? I thought the solution was restricted to not work for y=0?

12. Mar 14, 2013 #11

Mark44

Huh? The last part makes no sense. y = 0 is a solution of the DE, because it satisfies (i.e., makes a true statement of) the DE.
    Read the problem a little more closely. There is no restriction on y. What they did was break things up into two cases:
    Case 1: y ≠ 0, from which they obtained the exponentional function.
    Case 2: y = 0.

13. Mar 14, 2013 #12
    Opps. My mistake.

Here is what I should've said:

Why is it implied that just because y=0 satisfies the DE, that y=0 also satisfies ##y=A{ e }^{ \frac { { x }^{ 3 } }{ 3 } }##? In order to obtain ##y=A{ e }^{ \frac { { x }^{ 3 } }{ 3 } }##, we had to restrict y=0 (basically case 1 that you referred to).

14. Mar 14, 2013 #13

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A is an arbitrary constant- taking any specific value for A gives a solution.

So what if A= 0?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook