How difficult does this schedule sound?

In summary, the conversation discusses the 3rd semester schedule which includes courses on Differential Geometry, Real Analysis, Advanced Linear Algebra, Symbolic Logic, and Intro Programming. The person mentions having some experience with proofs in Linear Algebra and being prepared to work hard for the Real Analysis course. They also mention being unsure about the level of proofs in Differential Geometry. The other person reassures them that it shouldn't be too difficult.
inknit
3rd Semester Schedule

Introduction to Differential Geometry
Introduction to Real Analysis - using Rudin
Advanced Linear Algebra
Symbolic Logic (philosophy course)
Intro Programming (Java)

I have some experience with proofs in LA, read up on basic techniques of proof over summer (contradiction, induction, direct, functions,)

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds like a good schedule to me. Be prepared to work hard for Rudin though, even if you're acquainted with proofs.

^I certainly will. Do you know how proof heavy Diff. Geo will be at the level of Kreyszig?

inknit said:
^I certainly will. Do you know how proof heavy Diff. Geo will be at the level of Kreyszig?

I've never looked into Kreyszig :frown: But if it's anything like his superb functional analysis book, then it won't be too hard. Differential geometry shouldn't be any of your worries...

I understand that every schedule can seem challenging in its own way. However, this 3rd semester schedule appears to be particularly rigorous and demanding. The combination of courses in mathematics, philosophy, and programming suggests a diverse and intense workload. Furthermore, the inclusion of courses such as Introduction to Differential Geometry and Advanced Linear Algebra may require a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and techniques. It is clear that this schedule will require dedication, hard work, and a strong understanding of the subject matter. I would suggest seeking help from professors, peers, and study groups to successfully navigate through this challenging semester.

1. How many classes are included in this schedule?

This schedule includes a total of 5 classes.

2. Is this schedule considered to be a heavy workload?

The difficulty of a schedule can vary for each individual, but this schedule may be considered to be a heavy workload due to the number of classes and the potential difficulty of the subjects.

3. Are there any breaks or free periods in this schedule?

Unfortunately, this schedule does not include any breaks or free periods. However, it is important to prioritize self-care and take breaks when needed.

4. How much time outside of class will be needed for studying and assignments?

The amount of time needed for studying and assignments will depend on the individual's study habits and the difficulty of the classes. Generally, it is recommended to spend 2-3 hours studying for every hour spent in class.

5. Can this schedule be manageable with a part-time job?

It may be possible to manage this schedule while also working a part-time job, but it will require good time management skills and prioritizing tasks effectively. It is important to make sure that the workload is not overwhelming and to communicate with employers about availability.