How do 3-D wormholes work/shift space compared to 2-D portals?

In summary, spherical wormholes are often hypothesized to have a spherical exit, but the game Portal shows that the exit is the same shape as the entrance, which is not the case with spherical wormholes.
greswd
Wormholes, or Einstein-Rosen bridges, are often hypothesized to be spherical in shape. The hole parts, that is.

The 2007 videogame Portal gives a different take on hyperdimensional shortcuts.

In the game, "portals" are these oval-shaped, planar holes in the fabric of spacetime, and they serve well as hyperdimensional shortcuts, reducing the intervening distance between two distant points to zero.

The planar portals are intuitive, we can clearly see how they shift space, how they work just like doors.Spherical wormholes, by contrast, are pretty unintuitive and complex when it comes to visualizing just how they shift space.

If the distance between two wormholes could be reduced to nothing, just like with the portals, what would it look like if a solid cube (companion) was thrown into one of the spherical holes?

And not "look like" in terms of light rays, but in terms of the actual physical events.

I figure that the cube reaches the spherical center of one hole and emerges from the spherical center of the other, but I can't imagine how the space is physically shifted in the intervening journey.

The film Interstellar, while cool, didn't demonstrate what happens clearly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
greswd said:
but I can't imagine how the space is physically shifted in the intervening journey

I'm prepending this with "It's all hypothetical"...

If there is no space in the interior of the wormhole, then there is nothing to imagine. Nothing special happens to your cube per se, because there is no 'space' to shift. The wormhole interface, irrspective of the spherical exterior shape, is a 2D object. Portions of your cube exist in both locations, it's no different - conceptually - to if you put it down on a table. At the atomic level, there is no boundary for the atoms to interact with, they are just here or they are there, depending on how far through the wormhole you've pushed it.

If there is some interior manifestation to the wormhole, like a tube, it has to take time to traverse (otherwise it's 2D), so your cube would disappear and then eventually reappear if smaller than the interior distance, or merely disappear and then take some time to reappear, if it is longer than the interior distance. Note that if there is 'space' in the interior it has to be compatible with our space time, otherwise your cube would be destroyed or deconstituted in some fashion.

There is a simulation by Corvin Zahn that doesn't actually show an object interacting with a spherical wormhole, but if you watch it closely you can get an idea of what would happen to one, , and also includes the underlying physics at https://www.spacetimetravel.org/wurmlochflug/wurmlochflug.html.

Tghu Verd said:
If there is no space in the interior of the wormhole, then there is nothing to imagine. Nothing special happens to your cube per se, because there is no 'space' to shift. The wormhole interface, irrspective of the spherical exterior shape, is a 2D object. Portions of your cube exist in both locations, it's no different - conceptually - to if you put it down on a table. At the atomic level, there is no boundary for the atoms to interact with, they are just here or they are there, depending on how far through the wormhole you've pushed it.

But portals are planar. The two portals, being two planar surfaces, fit together perfectly, being in complete contact.

In the case of spherical wormholes, its one convex surface with another convex surface.

A convex surface and a concave surface might fit, but two convex surfaces, that's tricky.

Since it's all theoretical, there is no reason to think wormhole surfaces can't render in our 3D space convex - or concave - while being connected with zero length internally. It's not easy to picture, though, that's for sure!

Likes SolarisOne
Tghu Verd said:
Since it's all theoretical, there is no reason to think wormhole surfaces can't render in our 3D space convex - or concave - while being connected with zero length internally. It's not easy to picture, though, that's for sure!

Oh, zero internal length is not an issue. The issue is, as mentioned, the convex to convex interface.

Yeah, I get that. I've even tried to draw what it could look like, and I can't get past there having to be space in the 'interior' to create the convex shape. But I've never been known for my imagination :woot:

Tghu Verd said:
Yeah, I get that. I've even tried to draw what it could look like, and I can't get past there having to be space in the 'interior' to create the convex shape. But I've never been known for my imagination :woot:
Lol

though actually, interior space isn't much of an issue.

the issue is that a convex entrance should have a concave exit, how can it the exit be convex as well?

And a planar entrance should have a planar exit, and the game Portal shows that perfectly.

Well, Portal is a game, so they can do what they like, of course.

Still, 'exit' and 'entry' are arbitrary terms, which I've used myself on the basis that the wormhole is 'opened' from one end - the obvious entry. But it could be that a wormhole instantiates from the inside out, so there is no actual entry and exit. And it could be that interior "pressure" (as a concept, if it has no interior dimension that term is a probably not right) blows each end 'out' into our 3D spacetime, forming a convex shape at each end.

Tghu Verd said:
Well, Portal is a game, so they can do what they like, of course.

Still, 'exit' and 'entry' are arbitrary terms, which I've used myself on the basis that the wormhole is 'opened' from one end - the obvious entry. But it could be that a wormhole instantiates from the inside out, so there is no actual entry and exit. And it could be that interior "pressure" (as a concept, if it has no interior dimension that term is a probably not right) blows each end 'out' into our 3D spacetime, forming a convex shape at each end.
Either side can be the entry, and either side the exit, but there still has to be an entry and an exit.

Portal has created something that makes physical sense, spatially, so I'm wondering how it is with wormhole models.

There is this treatment for a simple wormhole geometry - https://journals.aps.org/prd/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevD.97.084044 - which seems to say the ends in our universe are spherical. There is an illustration in a Phys.org article referencing the work that shows concave ends, but it's not clear to me whether that's just artist interpretation or a consequence of the treatment.

Tghu Verd said:
There is this treatment for a simple wormhole geometry - https://journals.aps.org/prd/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevD.97.084044 - which seems to say the ends in our universe are spherical. There is an illustration in a Phys.org article referencing the work that shows concave ends, but it's not clear to me whether that's just artist interpretation or a consequence of the treatment.
sorry, where's the illustration?

Now you're testing me. Sorry, I can't immediately find the page, but recall it looked like a black hole render. If I can trawl it out of the browser history I'll post it in.

1. How do 3-D wormholes work?

3-D wormholes, also known as Einstein-Rosen bridges, are hypothetical tunnels through space-time that connect two distant points in the universe. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, massive objects can warp the fabric of space-time, creating a curvature that allows for the existence of a wormhole.

2. How do 3-D wormholes shift space compared to 2-D portals?

3-D wormholes and 2-D portals both involve the concept of space-time distortion, but they operate in different dimensions. While 3-D wormholes connect two points in 3-D space, 2-D portals are confined to a 2-D plane. Additionally, 3-D wormholes require a significant amount of energy to create and maintain, while 2-D portals can be created with much less energy.

3. Can 3-D wormholes be used for time travel?

Theoretically, 3-D wormholes could allow for time travel by connecting two points in different points in time. However, this would require the wormhole to be stable and traversable, which is currently not possible with our current understanding of physics.

4. How are 3-D wormholes different from black holes?

While both 3-D wormholes and black holes involve the distortion of space-time, they serve different purposes. Black holes are formed from the collapse of massive stars and have a one-way gravitational pull, while 3-D wormholes are created through the manipulation of space-time and can act as a shortcut through the universe.

5. Are 3-D wormholes scientifically proven?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of 3-D wormholes. They are still a theoretical concept and have not been observed or tested in real life. However, many scientists continue to study and explore the possibility of their existence through mathematical equations and simulations.