How do Black holes radiate energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the radiation of energy from black holes and the different theories surrounding it. Hawking's theory of virtual particle production near the event horizon is mentioned, as well as the possibility of charged particles radiating as they approach the black hole. The focus is on the specific geometry of the radiation and the current understanding of this process in astrophysics.
Chaos' lil bro Order
Hi, I was wondering how black hole's radiate energy and to be specific what the geometry of this radiation is. Can they radiate it planar, polar like a gamma ray burster, or something else? I'm not sure how far astrophysicists have gotten in terms of the theory of this, so please include all the ways we 'think' they radiate energy that you know of.

Cheers.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hawking proposed 'Hawking' radiation, which I think is due to virtual particle production (limited by uncertainty principle) very near the event horizon, where one virtual particle falls into (or escapes from) the black hole. It is possible that charged particles approaching the event horizon from the outside could radiate as they are accelerated toward the black hole.

Where can I get clear explanations of how s-process and r-process works in stars. Diagrams and examples how neutron capture bumps elements up the period table. Which elements are created by either process.

Marty

Marty, I don't see how your post follows.

Vanadium 50 said:
Marty, I don't see how your post follows.

Applogies. A slip of the finger on keyboard. This is meant to be a new topic - I'll repost.

Marty

Bob S said:
Hawking proposed 'Hawking' radiation, which I think is due to virtual particle production (limited by uncertainty principle) very near the event horizon, where one virtual particle falls into (or escapes from) the black hole. It is possible that charged particles approaching the event horizon from the outside could radiate as they are accelerated toward the black hole.

Yes. I'm aware of Hawking's theory. I'm more interested in knowing current theories on how the radiation is actually radiated geometrically from the black holes. I'm not sure if any current theories attempt to cover this process so I was hoping an expert in the field might offer some ideas.

1. What exactly is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space with an incredibly strong gravitational pull that not even light can escape from. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity.

2. How do black holes radiate energy?

Black holes do not actually radiate energy themselves. However, the matter and energy that fall into a black hole can emit radiation as they are accelerated and heated up by the intense gravitational pull. This is known as Hawking radiation.

3. What is Hawking radiation?

Hawking radiation is a process proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking in which pairs of particles are created near the event horizon of a black hole. One of the particles falls into the black hole while the other escapes, carrying away energy and causing the black hole to slowly lose mass.

4. How does the size of a black hole affect its radiation?

The size of a black hole does not directly affect its radiation. However, smaller black holes are expected to emit more radiation than larger ones because they have a stronger gravitational pull.

5. Can we observe the radiation from a black hole?

Yes, we can observe the effects of Hawking radiation on the matter and energy around a black hole. However, the radiation itself is very weak and difficult to detect, especially for larger black holes. It is also important to note that the radiation we observe is not coming from the black hole itself, but from the matter and energy around it.