Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do Black holes radiate energy?

1. Apr 4, 2009 #1
    Hi, I was wondering how blackhole's radiate energy and to be specific what the geometry of this radiation is. Can they radiate it planar, polar like a gamma ray burster, or something else? I'm not sure how far astrophysicists have gotten in terms of the theory of this, so please include all the ways we 'think' they radiate energy that you know of.

Cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2009 #2
    Hawking proposed 'Hawking' radiation, which I think is due to virtual particle production (limited by uncertainty principle) very near the event horizon, where one virtual particle falls into (or escapes from) the black hole. It is possible that charged particles approaching the event horizon from the outside could radiate as they are accelerated toward the black hole.

4. Apr 5, 2009 #3
    Where can I get clear explanations of how s-process and r-process works in stars. Diagrams and examples how neutron capture bumps elements up the period table. Which elements are created by either process.

Marty

5. Apr 5, 2009 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Marty, I don't see how your post follows.

6. Apr 5, 2009 #5
    Applogies. A slip of the finger on keyboard. This is meant to be a new topic - I'll repost.

Marty

7. Apr 6, 2009 #6
    Yes. I'm aware of Hawking's theory. I'm more interested in knowing current theories on how the radiation is actually radiated geometrically from the black holes. I'm not sure if any current theories attempt to cover this process so I was hoping an expert in the field might offer some ideas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook