Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do brids navigate during migration?

1. Jan 4, 2008 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

How do brids find their directions during migration? Do they have any natural compass in their brain?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I don't know too much about this, but they do have a magnetic organ which I believe is just above the base of the beak. There's also strong evidence that they can calculate things based upon the position of the sun.

4. Jan 4, 2008 #3

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Jan 4, 2008 #4
    I guess this question is related, so I can understand why birds would migrate south, but then why do they have to migrate back up north again? What is not down south in the European Summer that is there in the European winter in other words?

6. Jan 4, 2008 #5

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Primary productivity in more Northern latitudes during summer is very high compared to the tropics - ie., more bugs, fish, and seeds for baby birds. Photosynthesis increases so much that there is a dip in atmospheric [itex]CO_2[/tex] during the summer months.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?