How do classical and quantum mesh?

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have a question for the enlightened minds.

In physics class we found our debrouille (sp?) wavelength, we found that an average human gives a ridiculously small wavelength. H/p. Now what happens when you do this to an electric current in an exposed wire? (6.626E(-34) m2 kg / s)/(9.11E(-31)*(0.0002 m/s) (the speed electrons flow in a wire, but this can be changed). But that gives you a wavelength of 36.3215m and a frequency of 8.2369 MHz. This is pretty close to the RF of remote control cars, and in between AM/FM frequencies. Would there be a way to this up through a tuner of some sort? Or is this how the technology behind radio transmissions works?

Answers and Replies

de Broglie, which is roughly pronounced the way you spelled it.

The waves you are referring to are classical electromagnetic waves, not matter waves. The electrons in traveling in a current exhibit two types of velocities, one being their own, individual velocity, and the other being their drift velocity. Basically electrons scatter off of impurities and other electrons in a metal, so even though they are going rediculously fast, their average displacement ends up being very small (that's the drift velocity).

I think that if you did the calculation with their true velocity (in between scattering) then you would get a de Broglie wavelength that is much much smaller.

dx
Homework Helper
Gold Member
de Broglie, which is roughly pronounced the way you spelled it.
Actually, I believe its pronounced "debroy".

True, I meant the way he spelled it, not I =)
But yes, that is the proper rendition.