How do g(x,t) and J_n(x) relate to the identity involving Bessel functions?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Another1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Relationship
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Another1
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
$$g(x,t) = e^{(\frac{x}{2})(t-\frac{1}{t})}=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}J_{n}(x)t^{n}$$

and

$$\left| J_{0}(x) \right|\le 1 $$ and $$ \left| J_{n}(x) \right|\le \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} $$

how to show that

1=$$(J_{0}(x))^{2}+2(J_{1}(x))^{2}+2(J_{2}(x))^{2}+...$$

I don't have idea
 
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: [please help]Bessel function

Another said:
$$g(x,t) = e^{(\frac{x}{2})(t-\frac{1}{t})}=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}J_{n}(x)t^{n}$$

and

$$\left| J_{0}(x) \right|\le 1 $$ and $$ \left| J_{n}(x) \right|\le \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} $$

how to show that

1=$$(J_{0}(x))^{2}+2(J_{1}(x))^{2}+2(J_{2}(x))^{2}+...$$

I don't have idea
I haven't done the whole thing but note that Bessel functions are orthogonal:
[math]\int _0 ^1 J_{\nu} \left ( \alpha_{\nu ~ m} x \right ) ~ J_{\nu } \left ( \alpha_{\nu ~ n} x \right ) ~x ~dx = \frac{1}{2} \left [ J_{\nu + 1} \left ( \alpha _{\nu ~ m} \right ) \right ] ^2 \delta_ {m~n}[/math]

Does this give you any ideas?

-Dan