How Do Gravitational and Coulomb Potentials Compare for Top and Anti-Top Quarks?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
UrbanXrisis
Messages
1,192
Reaction score
1
I am to find the ratio of the gravitational PE to the Coulomb PE between a [tex]t[/tex] and a [tex]\bar{t}[/tex] quark

I don't know what a [tex]\bar{t}[/tex] quark is, but I am guessing that it is a quark that has a charge opposite of that of the [tex]t[/tex] quark?

I am given that the charges are [tex]+/- \frac{2}{3} e[/tex] and that the mass is 174 GeV/c^2.

I think this is how I should set this question up:

[tex]ratio=-\frac{GMm}{kQq}[/tex]

[tex]ratio=-\frac{2G (174 GeV/c^2)}{k(\frac{2}{3} e) (-\frac{2}{3} e)}[/tex]

is this correct?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The ratio should not be negative. The rest of the solution, I think that you're right.[/color]
 
Last edited:
why should the ratio not be negative? and what is a [tex]\bar{t}[/tex] quark?
 
Usually the bar means its the antiparticle. In this case you have the top quark [tex]t[/tex] and the anti-top quark [tex]\bar{t}[/tex]. The ratio of the two energies should be positive because both energies are negative.

Also, the gravitational potential energy is proportional to the product of the masses so you should have the mass squared rather than multiplied by two.
 
Last edited:
oh right, so something like..

[tex]ratio=\frac{G (174 GeV/c^2)^2}{k(\frac{2}{3} e)^2}[/tex]