How do I calculate the cooling effect in Watts?

In summary, the heat pump has a THR value of 154 kW. It is designed to remove 154 kW of heat from the water. The cooling battery is designed to produce 72 kW of cooling power.
Shown in the attachment is a system consisting of a heat pump and other components. My question is how I can approximate the total cooling effect in Watts available to the cooling battery. I know that the ground water is about 5 degrees, and I have some other data as well, just shout as I'm not sure what's relevant. The heat pump has a THR value of 154 kW.

Attachments

• sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 544
Engineering news on Phys.org
what other data do you have ?

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx for answering,
I've got all kinds of data for the heat pump itself. The evaporator is designed for temperatures of 5 C in and 0,5 C out at a flow rate of 6,2 l/s. The cooling battery is designed for temperatures 7/12 C. Does that help?

What does "THR" stand for?

I assume "cooling battery" is some kind of thermal storage? What kind?

Do you know your flow rate and temps through that loop that includes your three components? How is the flow meant to go through that loop? With the cooling battery and heat pump in parallel and a 3-way valve in there as well, I suppose you are going to manually balance the flows to each?

Is the cooling battery supposed to receive chilled water from the heat pump? I'm not sure the flow is in the right direction...but flows aren't labeled on that side.

It just isn't very clear to me what the intention is there.

THR = Thermal Heat Rejection

With "cooling battery" I mean a cooling element in an air handling unit, i.e. a mesh of pipe with chilled water flowing through it which cools the air as it passes over the mesh. The return from the heat pump's evaporator is supposed to feed the cooling element on the way back to the heat exchanger, although I may need some more valves to make that work properly. The data sheet for the cooling element says 3,87 l/s to produce 72 kW. That's all I know about the cooling element.

Do you have more data on the heat pump? Like heating capacity and input power?

I suppose THR would be how much heat is removed from the water, but that's a little awkward of a term if that is the case. Anyway, if that's what that is, that number is your answer.

I've attached my data sheet for the heat pump. Hope that helps. Really appreciate your help!

Attachments

• Heat pump data.pdf
    72.5 KB · Views: 296

1. How do I calculate the cooling effect in Watts for a specific object?

The cooling effect in Watts can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object in kilograms by the specific heat capacity of the material in Joules per kilogram Kelvin (J/kgK) and then by the change in temperature in Kelvin (K). This can be represented by the formula Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the cooling effect in Watts, m is the mass, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. What is the specific heat capacity and how does it affect the cooling effect calculation?

The specific heat capacity is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 kilogram of a material by 1 Kelvin. It is a constant value for a specific material and is measured in J/kgK. The higher the specific heat capacity, the more energy is required to change the temperature of the material, resulting in a lower cooling effect.

3. Can the cooling effect be calculated for a system rather than just a single object?

Yes, the cooling effect can be calculated for a system by adding up the individual cooling effects of each object within the system. This can be done by using the same formula as mentioned in question 1 and summing up the individual values for each object.

4. How does the environment affect the cooling effect of an object?

The environment can affect the cooling effect of an object by providing or absorbing heat from the object. This can change the temperature of the object and therefore affect the cooling effect calculation. For example, a warmer environment may result in a slower cooling effect as the object may gain heat from the surroundings.

5. What are the units of the cooling effect in the Q = m x c x ΔT formula?

The units of the cooling effect in the Q = m x c x ΔT formula are in Watts (W). This unit is commonly used for measuring power, which is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. In this case, it represents the rate at which heat energy is being lost or transferred from the object.

Suggested for: How do I calculate the cooling effect in Watts?

Back