Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I calculate the cooling effect in Watts?

1. May 21, 2008 #1
    Shown in the attachment is a system consisting of a heat pump and other components. My question is how I can approximate the total cooling effect in Watts available to the cooling battery. I know that the ground water is about 5 degrees, and I have some other data as well, just shout as I'm not sure what's relevant. The heat pump has a THR value of 154 kW.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2008 #2
    what other data do you have ?

Rick

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2008
  4. May 21, 2008 #3
    Thx for answering,
    I've got all kinds of data for the heat pump itself. The evaporator is designed for temperatures of 5 C in and 0,5 C out at a flow rate of 6,2 l/s. The cooling battery is designed for temperatures 7/12 C. Does that help?

5. May 21, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What does "THR" stand for?

I assume "cooling battery" is some kind of thermal storage? What kind?

Do you know your flow rate and temps through that loop that includes your three components? How is the flow meant to go through that loop? With the cooling battery and heat pump in parallel and a 3-way valve in there as well, I suppose you are going to manually balance the flows to each?

Is the cooling battery supposed to receive chilled water from the heat pump? I'm not sure the flow is in the right direction....but flows aren't labeled on that side.

It just isn't very clear to me what the intention is there.

6. May 21, 2008 #5
    THR = Thermal Heat Rejection

With "cooling battery" I mean a cooling element in an air handling unit, i.e. a mesh of pipe with chilled water flowing through it which cools the air as it passes over the mesh. The return from the heat pump's evaporator is supposed to feed the cooling element on the way back to the heat exchanger, although I may need some more valves to make that work properly. The data sheet for the cooling element says 3,87 l/s to produce 72 kW. That's all I know about the cooling element.

7. May 21, 2008 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Do you have more data on the heat pump? Like heating capacity and input power?

I suppose THR would be how much heat is removed from the water, but that's a little awkward of a term if that is the case. Anyway, if that's what that is, that number is your answer.

8. May 22, 2008 #7
    I've attached my data sheet for the heat pump. Hope that helps. Really appreciate your help!

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?