Need Help with Heat Exchange Calculations for Cosplay Suit Idea

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of a watercooling system in a Cosplay suit to cool the human body. The plan is to use a "CoolShirt" with a water loop and a PC watercooler radiator and fans to exhaust the system's heat. The main concern is the heat rejection rate and how much lower the body temperature can be cooled below ambient temperature. The conversation concludes that the system should work if the PC water cooling solution is designed to reject enough wattage at certain temperatures.
pdorton89
TL;DR Summary
I am looking to build a watercooler into a Mandolorian Armor Suit. Need Help Calculating if its worth it.
Hello,

I am trying to figure out if the investment into a watercooling system in a Cosplay suit would be worth it.

I plan on using a water loop made by taking a "CoolShirt" https://coolshirt.com/product/white-coolwater-shirt/ and running water through it either from an ice bath in a sealed container and monitor the temp for change outs.

But I got to thinking that if it would work well enough, could I use a PC Watercooler Radiator and fans to exhaust the systems heat out to lower overall temps to a sustainable level.

it would be a 120mm fan, on each side of the radiator (using ~50CFM airflow from the fans each)
a 120mm radiator
and I would be using a 5gph water pump through the radiator.

I am assuming using chilled water would only hasten the time till homeostasis as the heat exchanger would be cooling itself below ambient and then at some point it would settle. Trying to figure out how much lower than ambient that would end up being.

I am trying to cool the human body (98deg f ) and the ambient temp is ~76-82 deg f for the air supply.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
For comfort, the supply temperature of the water isn't what matters, per se, it's the heat rejection rate. What kind of wattage was the PC water cooling solution designed to reject, at what temperatures?

For example, if it can reject 100W with water 40F above ambient, it could reject 50W with water 20F above ambient.

My gut take here is that this should work.

1. How do I calculate heat exchange for my cosplay suit idea?

The heat exchange for a cosplay suit can be calculated by using the formula Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the heat exchanged, m is the mass of the material, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. You will need to know the specific heat capacity of the material you are using, as well as the mass of the material.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of common cosplay suit materials?

The specific heat capacity of common cosplay suit materials can vary, but some averages are: leather - 0.45 J/g°C, spandex - 1.2 J/g°C, and foam - 0.3 J/g°C. It is best to research the specific heat capacity of the material you are using to get a more accurate calculation.

3. How does the design of my cosplay suit affect heat exchange?

The design of your cosplay suit can greatly affect heat exchange. If the suit is tight-fitting and made of a material with a high specific heat capacity, it will not allow for much air flow and can trap heat, making it uncomfortable to wear. On the other hand, a looser-fitting suit with a material that has a lower specific heat capacity will allow for more air flow and better heat exchange.

4. Can I use insulation to improve heat exchange in my cosplay suit?

Insulation can be used to improve heat exchange in a cosplay suit. Adding a layer of insulation, such as foam or a thermal lining, can help to trap heat and keep the wearer warm in colder temperatures. However, it is important to consider the specific heat capacity of the insulation material and how it may affect the overall heat exchange of the suit.

5. Are there any online tools or resources for calculating heat exchange for cosplay suits?

Yes, there are several online tools and resources available for calculating heat exchange for cosplay suits. Some websites offer heat exchange calculators specifically for cosplay materials, while others provide general heat exchange calculators that can be used for any material. It is important to double-check the accuracy of these tools and use them as a guide rather than relying solely on their calculations.