How Do I Calculate the Trajectory of a Pendulum-Released Ball to Land in a Cup?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
megaforcetkd
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
This isn't really a homework problem I am just trying to figure out how to do it..

I've attached a really badly drawn picture of the setup... But I'll type it out here too.

I have to use a steel ball as a pendulum. A razor blade is attached to a pole on the test so when the string swings past the blade, it cuts the string and the ball flies. There is a cup on the floor and somehow I have to get the ball to fly into the cup.

What equations do I use to figure out how to get it to land in there? I really have no idea =/
 
Attachments
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the problem is: At what angle do you have to release the pendulum so that the ball falls into the cup?

As a first cut, ignore any complications due to energy loss when the string is cut or the height of the cup sides.

Do it in two parts. The second part is just a projectile motion problem: by the time the ball hits the ground, it must move horizontally enough to land in the cup. Use this thinking to figure out the speed of the pendulum at the bottom position.

Then use conservation of mechanical energy to figure out the angle you have to lift the pendulum to get such a speed at the bottom.