Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I define haploid and monoploid?

1. Feb 20, 2017 #1
    I think I understand these terms, not fully though and I can't distinguish between the two and define them.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2017 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Monoploid is an old term.

Haploid (1n) implies that alternation of generations exists for an organism. So someday the diploid (2n) "version" will develop. Monoploid is sometimes used for those organisms that seem to have lost the diploid phase. Obviously they cannot ever undergo meiosis. So they reproduce asexually only.

I said "seem to have lost". Why? Example: there are Ascomycetes that literally spend years in the haploid phase, no research has ever found the diploid. Then one day someone finds the "missing generation". Which researchers had known for a long time, too. With the advent of DNA sequencing a lot this kind fog will eventually be lifted.

Stick with the term haploid for (1n) organisms. Nobody will ever fault you for it. Haploid has generally supplanted the use of the term monoploid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted