How do I figure out the number of shells in noble gas items?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter LoveKnowledge
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Figure Gas
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
LoveKnowledge
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
I am confused? Do I look at somewhere on the periodic table? For example for the noble gas items argon, radon, helium, and neon?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I hope that I posted this in the right section as well..
 
If you look at the periodic table, then the number of completed shells corresponds to the order as you go down the list. Helium - 1, Neon - 2, Argon - 3, etc.
 
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_configuration" . The first illustration shows what you are interested in. Note the specific elements you want are along the right edge.
 
Last edited by a moderator: