How do I find the number of connected components in an undirected graph?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
plamen562
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Need help ! – Graph Theory

Hello,
I have recently started studying “Graph Theory” but i find it very difficult. I'm still not good in this course. So I hope you can help me with the following task:

G=(V,E) is undirected (no oriented) graph. We need to find the number of all components which are connectet to G.

Can you help me solve and understanding this task?
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I am afraid you didn't pose your question precisely.
You said you are just given an undirected graph G=(V,E), and nothing more.

You have not specified anything about the structure of (V,E), so I really don't see how you could find a specific number of connected components in G.

I think you should first understand the definition of connected component in a graph: take a look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connected_component_%28graph_theory%29" .
 
Last edited by a moderator: