How do I get the viscosity of a mash mixture in brewing?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 2K views
Will26040
Messages
21
Reaction score
3
TL;DR
How do I get the viscosity of a mash mixture in brewing? Please read
Hi, I am designing a mash tun to produce beer. I have 1300kg of malted barley (at a known density) and 3250kg of water. Please could someone outline a method I could use as I am really struggling. One of the main problems I am having is accounting for the density change of the malt when it absorbs water. Are there any online sources that could help? thanks
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Will26040 said:
Hi, I am designing a mash tun to produce beer. I have 1300kg of malted barley (at a known density) and 3250kg of water. Please could someone outline a method I could use as I am really struggling. One of the main problems I am having is accounting for the density change of the malt when it absorbs water. Are there any online sources that could help? thanks
That sounds like a commercial production level piece of equipment. This is going to vary a lot by the beer, so I'd see if you can get a commercial brewer to discuss it with you or see what existing equipment is out there.
 
There are many brew pubs with enthusiastic owners. Try one!
I agree with @russ_watters - for what you want, you are likely dealing with production equipment. And you are not considering density - of the liquid. Correct?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters