How do I make a compensation vector?

• Thread starter yamugushi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics-related airplane project in pre-calc and finding a solution for a given resultant vector and wind direction. The suggested method is to use geometric principles to draw a triangle and use trigonometry to find the necessary angles and lengths. The student also mentions a possible alternate method using component and directional form, but is unsure of how to approach it.
yamugushi

Homework Statement

I'm currently doing an airplane project in pre-calc, it is physics related, but since it's in pre-calc I put it here.
The problem is I have a plane, it's going N74W, wind is going N20E, the resultant vector is 324mph, and N67W, how do I compensate?

Homework Equations

I remember going over it once in class but I really don't want to screw it up since this project (which is a lot bigger than just this problem) is supposed to be a big part of the grade.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm just supposed to make a vector go NxW, but I'm not sure how to get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
yamugushi said:

Homework Statement

I'm currently doing an airplane project in pre-calc, it is physics related, but since it's in pre-calc I put it here.
The problem is I have a plane, it's going N74W, wind is going N20E, the resultant vector is 324mph, and N67W, how do I compensate?
Geometrically: draw the given "resultant vector" at 67 degrees west of north, with "length" 324. Through the tip of that vector, draw a line at angle 74 degrees west of north (continued in both directions and at the initial point of the resultant vector draw a line at angle 20 degrees east of north. That will form a triangle with one side of length 324. Now you have to look carefull at the angles. At the base, the initial point of the you should find that the angle is 67+ (90- 70)= 67+ 20= 87 degrees. At the tip of the resultant vector, the angle inside the triangle is 74- 70= 4 degrees. you can, of course, get the third angle as 180- 87- 4 and then find the lengths by either the sine law or the cosine law.

Homework Equations

I remember going over it once in class but I really don't want to screw it up since this project (which is a lot bigger than just this problem) is supposed to be a big part of the grade.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm just supposed to make a vector go NxW, but I'm not sure how to get it.[/QUOTE]

Is there a way to do it via component and directional form?

1. How do I calculate the magnitude of a compensation vector?

The magnitude of a compensation vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. This involves finding the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual components of the vector.

2. What is the purpose of a compensation vector?

A compensation vector is used to balance out the effects of multiple forces acting on an object. It allows us to calculate the net force and direction of an object's motion.

3. How do I determine the direction of a compensation vector?

The direction of a compensation vector can be determined by finding the angle between the vector and the positive x-axis. This can be done using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine.

4. Can a compensation vector have a negative magnitude?

Yes, a compensation vector can have a negative magnitude. This indicates that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive x-axis.

5. How is a compensation vector different from a resultant vector?

A compensation vector is used to balance out the effects of multiple forces, while a resultant vector represents the net effect of these forces. A compensation vector is typically used in static situations, while a resultant vector is used in dynamic situations where objects are in motion.