Dot Products With Orthogonal Vectors

In summary, for a given vector a=-2i-3j that is orthogonal to a vector b with the same length, the components of a possible third vector c are (-3i+4j) or (3i-4j) m. This can be determined by setting up a system of equations using the dot products of ca=8m^2 and cb=9m^2.
ME_123

Homework Statement

The Vector a= -2i -3j and is orthogonal to vector b that has the same length as a. The third vector c has the dot products ca= 8m^2 and cb= 9m^2. What are the components of c? c = ______i + _____ j m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that (a⃗ +b⃗ )⋅c⃗ =a⃗ ⋅c⃗ +b⃗ ⋅c. Since I have the dot product of ac and bct and I know (a + b) I get (-5i - j )⋅c⃗ = 17. If I do the dot product of (a+b)c I get -5Ci - Cj = 17. This is how I have done previous problems but I have gotten them wrong. Can someone explain to me if I am going in the right direction or if I am doing it wrong. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Given A and its components can you easily construct a B which is perpendicular to it?

If you not sure then think about lines and slopes and how you constructed lines perpendicular to a given line.

ME_123 said:

Homework Statement

The Vector a= -2i -3j and is orthogonal to vector b that has the same length as a. The third vector c has the dot products ca= 8m^2 and cb= 9m^2. What are the components of c? c = ______i + _____ j m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that (a⃗ +b⃗ )⋅c⃗ =a⃗ ⋅c⃗ +b⃗ ⋅c. Since I have the dot product of ac and bct and I know (a + b) I get (-5i - j )⋅c⃗ = 17. If I do the dot product of (a+b)c I get -5Ci - Cj = 17. This is how I have done previous problems but I have gotten them wrong. Can someone explain to me if I am going in the right direction or if I am doing it wrong. Thank you.

Get rid of the units---you are using them inconsistently. Your given 'a' has no units, and if 'b' has the same length as 'a' but has units of m, there is, again, an inconsistency.

Anyway, set ## \vec{b} = u \vec{i} + v \vec{j}## and ##\vec{c} = x \vec{i} + y \vec{j}##. You know two facts about ##u,v##: (i) ##\vec{b} \perp \vec{a}##; and (ii) ##\text{length}\,(\vec{b} )= \text{length}\, (\vec{a})##. Those suffice to tell you ##u,v##, except for an overall sign.

So, now you know ##\vec{b}##, up to a sign ambiguity. You are given ##\vec{a} \cdot \vec{c}## and ##\vec{b} \cdot \vec{c}##. You can get ##x,y## from these, and so you will know the vector ##\vec{c}##. The sign ambiguity in ##\vec{b}## may cause you to arrive at more than one solution---draw a diagram to see why!

I think you are too quick to assume you know B.
B must satisfy:
## -2b_x -3b_y = 0 ## or ## b_x =-\frac32 b_y ##
To be the same length, ##b_y^2 + \frac94 b_y^2 = 13## or ##b_y = \pm 2##.
So you have two choices for B.

Next, you have a system of equations:
## -2C_i - 3C_j = 9 \\ \pm 3 C_i +\mp 2 C_j = 8 ##
This will have solutions for each of your directions for B.

Thank you for your help. I actually figured out how to do it. I guess I just over thought the problem and made it more complicated then it should have. Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

1. What is a dot product?

A dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and returns a scalar value. It is also known as a scalar product or inner product.

2. How do you calculate a dot product?

To calculate a dot product, you multiply the corresponding components of the two vectors and then sum the products. For example, if vector A is [a1, a2, a3] and vector B is [b1, b2, b3], the dot product would be a1*b1 + a2*b2 + a3*b3.

3. What is the use of dot product with orthogonal vectors?

When two vectors are orthogonal, it means they are perpendicular to each other. The dot product of two orthogonal vectors is zero, which makes it useful in calculations involving angles and projections.

4. How do you know if two vectors are orthogonal?

Two vectors are orthogonal if their dot product is equal to zero. Another way to determine if two vectors are orthogonal is by checking if the angle between them is 90 degrees.

5. What are some real-world applications of dot products with orthogonal vectors?

Dot products with orthogonal vectors are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Examples include finding the torque in a rotating system, calculating the work done by a force, and determining the amount of light reflected from a surface.