Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I minimize my acid reflux?

1. Jun 15, 2007 #1
    A couple of questions:

1) How do I minimize it?
    2) Would 5-6 small meals per day be a better digestive option?
    3) Would a vegetarian diet cure acid reflux?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2007 #2

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A. see your doctor

1. Avoid coffee/caffeine, reduce fatty and fried food intake drastically, eat last meal early in the day, do not lay down for several hours after eating, avoid alcohol, lose weight.

Avoid reclining in a chair after meals - just like laying down.

Take a medicine that reduces stomach acid production (rantidine, famotidine),
    follow the label instructions.

B. see your doctor

2. I do not know, but anything that empties your stomach, reduces acid reflux short term. Smaller meals would leave your stomach somewhat sooner.
    But beware that you never want to eat for several (minimum 3) hours before you lay down, or go to bed.

C. see your doctor, reflux disease may lead to Burketts disease, and you do not want that. No kidding.

3. Don't know, but some meat products are on the avoid list - like fatty hamburgers, grease encrusted buffalo wings, fried chicken. Others meats like fish, and very lean meats are on the foods to use list.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?