How do I properly display a term with a subscript on a subscript in LaTeX?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
In summary, Peter was seeking assistance with displaying a term with a subscript on a subscript in his post on Noetherian Modules in the Linear and Abstract Algebra Forum. Opalg provided a solution using braces to correctly display the term. Peter thanked Opalg for their help.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I just posted on Noetherian Modules in the Linear and Abstract Algebra Forum ...

I wished to display a term with a subscript on a subscript as follows: N_i_j ...

But got an error ... can someone please help ...Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I just posted on Noetherian Modules in the Linear and Abstract Algebra Forum ...

I wished to display a term with a subscript on a subscript as follows: N_i_j ...

But got an error ... can someone please help ...Peter
You need to use braces: N_{i_j} gives $N_{i_j}$.

Opalg said:
You need to use braces: N_{i_j} gives $N_{i_j}$.
Thanks Opalg ...

Appreciate your help ...

Peter

1. What is a subscript on a subscript?

A subscript on a subscript is when a smaller character or number is placed below another subscript character or number. This is commonly seen in mathematical and chemical equations to indicate a specific position or element.

2. How is a subscript on a subscript written?

A subscript on a subscript is written by using two levels of subscripts. The first subscript is written normally, and the second subscript is then written below it, slightly smaller in size. This is typically done using a comma or parentheses to separate the two subscripts.

3. What is the purpose of a subscript on a subscript?

The purpose of a subscript on a subscript is to provide more specific information or to differentiate between similar elements or positions in a formula or equation. It helps to clarify the meaning and context of the characters being used.

4. Can a subscript on a subscript be used in any type of equation?

Yes, a subscript on a subscript can be used in various types of equations, including mathematical, chemical, and physical equations. It is a common notation used in these fields to represent specific elements or positions.

5. Are there any rules for using a subscript on a subscript?

There are no specific rules for using a subscript on a subscript, but it is important to ensure that the subscripts are clearly legible and do not overlap or become too small to read. It is also important to follow any specific notation guidelines for the particular field or equation being used.