How do sine, cosine and tangent extend beyond right triangle ratios?

  • Thread starter Thread starter physior
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Definition
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 14K views
piethein21 said:
I think the unit circle is taken not because of physical reasons but mathematical ones.
The main reason I think is because of the
##e^{i\theta}=\cos{\theta}+i\sin{\theta}## (how do i add latex in my reply...I am new).
Suppose it had radius 2 then we would have
##2=e^{i2\pi}=e^{i\pi}e^{i\pi}=-2*-2##
which does not seem right
Correct - it's not right. ##e^{i 2\pi} = cos(2\pi) + i sin(2\pi) = 1 + 0i = 1##
You can't just come along and set this expression to 2.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
piethein21 said:
I think the unit circle is taken not because of physical reasons but mathematical ones.
The main reason I think is because of the
##e^{i\theta}=\cos{\theta}+i\sin{\theta}## (how do i add latex in my reply...I am new).
Suppose it had radius 2 then we would have
##2=e^{i2\pi}=e^{i\pi}e^{i\pi}=-2*-2##
which does not seem right

You're not using euler formula correctly.
##e^{i\theta}=\cos{\theta}+i\sin{\theta}##
This is correct.

but this:
##2=e^{i2\pi}=e^{i\pi}e^{i\pi}=-2*-2##
is not.

##2 = e^{i*2\pi} + e^{-i*2\pi} = 2e^{i*2\pi} = cos(2\pi) + i*sin(2\pi) + cos(2\pi) - i*sin(2\pi)##
OR ##=2[cos(2\pi) + i*sin(2\pi)##
the first expansion is a representation of the first eulers, and the second expansion is a representation of the second eulers.

You have ##e^{i\theta} = \cos{\theta}+i\sin{\theta}##
and ##e^{i*k\theta}= \cos{k\theta}+i\sin{k\theta}##
Where k can be any function.
 
Last edited:
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
You're not using euler formula correctly.
##e^{i\theta}=\cos{\theta}+i\sin{\theta}##
This is correct.
Actually, using the alternative definitions of sin and cos that piethein21 was considering there, it's not. His sin and cos are exactly 2 times the normal sin and cos. So the left-hand side and the right-hand side don't have the same absolute value, unless we also redefine the exponential function as 2 times the normal exponential function. Of course, if we do that, then ##e^{x+y}=e^xe^y## doesn't hold, so his calculation is still wrong.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
but this:
##2=e^{i2\pi}=e^{i\pi}e^{i\pi}=-2*-2##
is not.
It's probably time to close this thread, since it has drifted off topic. The OP just wanted to know how to define sin and cos with a domain larger than ##[0,2\pi]##. That was answered early in the thread. Most of the posts after that are based on misunderstandings and have nothing to do with the original topic.
 
Last edited:
the time it was not properly used was to show it did not hold when rules where altered (so I am very aware that it was not correct). I agree with fredrik let's close the thread ... it is drifting...