How Do Upcoming Surveys Constrain Cosmological Models and Dark Energy?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter SupersonicMan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hard Interesting
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
SupersonicMan
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Interesting problem I came across, yet I'm having some trouble with it:

Here are a few of the next generation of experiments currently being planned for constraining cosmological models. Not all of these are groundbased:

DES:https://www.darkenergysurvey.org/"
PanSTARRS:http://pan-starrs.ifa.hawaii.edu/public/"
LSST:http://www.lsst.org"
SNAP: http://snap.lbl.gov"

What are four methods these surveys will use to constrain cosmology/dark-energy (not all of the use four methods, I'm assuming). For each of these, is making the measurement from a space-based satellite necessary or warranted?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
These sound an awful lot like homework problems. Have you tried searching those websites? What have you gleaned from them so far?
 
The DES is primarily asking if dark energy can be a cosmological constant. However, I am a little uncertain about what exactly it means by "constraining cosmology/dark energy?
 
SupersonicMan said:
The DES is primarily asking if dark energy can be a cosmological constant. However, I am a little uncertain about what exactly it means by "constraining cosmology/dark energy?

"Constraining cosmology" simply means that it's attempting to measure the parameters that we use to describe our universe. This could be, for example, the total matter content, the expansion rate, or the dark energy density. If you read further into the website, you should be able to determine these details. I suggest you do that first and then ask questions about other things you don't understand.