naima said:
Hi PF
I try to understand how we get get a Taylor expansion of a non linear functional.
I found this good
paper
here F maps functions to scalars. F[f] is defined. It has not scalars as arguments. I agree with A13 and A18.
In another
paper (in french) skip to page 9
the fisrt term is ##\int dx P_0 (x)## and all the terms have one more variable.
Do you understand the second point of view? we did not start with densities.
I think you mean page 7 of the second paper.
In the second paper, they seem to be assuming that the functional [itex]F[f][/itex] can be written in the form:
[itex]F[f] = \int dx F(f(x))[/itex]
This is a very confusing notation. If you look at the bottom of page 7, you'll see they define:
[itex]S[x(t)] = \int dt L(x, \dot{x})[/itex]
which doesn't fit the pattern of [itex]F[f][/itex]. What I think they mean is something like this: They are assuming that the functional [itex]F[f][/itex] can be written in the form:
[itex]F[f] = \int dx \tilde{F}[/itex]
Where the expression [itex]\tilde{F}[/itex] inside the integral can involve [itex]f[/itex] and its derivatives evaluated at the point [itex]x[/itex]. Writing this as [itex]F(f(x))[/itex] gives the mistaken impression that it is an ordinary function [itex]F(y)[/itex] evaluated at the point [itex]y=f(x)[/itex].
But in any case, the two papers seem to agree about the functional derivative: Look at equation A.28 in section A.3 in the first paper, and compare it with equation 1.13 page 6 of the second paper. What's confusing about the second paper is that they seem to be making the distinction between
- [itex]\frac{\delta F[f(y)]}{\delta f(x)}[/itex], and
- [itex]\frac{\delta F[f]}{\delta f(x)}[/itex]
They seem to be treating the second expression as the integral of the first expression:
[itex]\frac{\delta F[f]}{\delta f(x)} = \int dy \frac{\delta F[f(y)]}{\delta f(x)}[/itex]
To me, this is an extremely confusing convention. And the author is not even consistent about it, because in equation 1.26 on page 8, they write [itex]\frac{\delta S[x(t)]}{\delta x(t)}[/itex], when it would seem like they should be writing [itex]\frac{\delta S[x]}{\delta x(t)}[/itex] (with no argument [itex]t[/itex] on the function [itex]x[/itex] in the expression [itex]S[x][/itex]). It's very confusing, because it's unclear when they are using [itex]x(t)[/itex] to mean a function, and when they are using it to mean a number, the value at point [itex]t[/itex].
I think it's bad notation, but that the two papers probably mean the same thing.