How Do You Calculate Position, Velocity, and Acceleration from d(x)/d(t) = c/x?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter 69911e
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
69911e
Messages
30
Reaction score
1
I have the equation v=c/x
d(x)/d(t)=c/x
velocity= c(constant)/x (distance)

I need equations to calculate position, velocity and acceleration for a given time,
My attempt was:
xdx=cdt
x2ln(x)=ct
elnxx2=ekt
xx2=ekt
but I need x(t)v(t),a(t)

Any suggestions on how to calculate?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You start of well with ##xdx = cdt##
The next step is wrong. How do you justify ##\int xdx = x^2 \text{ln}(x)##?
Because that's what happens there.

If you know ##x(t)## how can you find ##v(t)## and ##a(t)##?

You've already used how you get ##v(t)##
 
HomogenousCow said:
Where did the ln(x) come from??
I did int of XDx= x2*(Dx/x)=
x2LN(x)

That was the wrong move...

Thanks
 
69911e said:
I have the equation v=c/x
d(x)/d(t)=c/x
Usually, posters don't include enough parentheses, but here you have more than you need, which might have led to some confusion.

The above can be written as ##\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac c x##. Separating, we get x dx = c dt. Integrating, we get ##\frac 1 2 x^2 = ct + K##.
69911e said:
velocity= c(constant)/x (distance)

I need equations to calculate position, velocity and acceleration for a given time,
My attempt was:
xdx=cdt
x2ln(x)=ct
elnxx2=ekt
xx2=ekt
but I need x(t)v(t),a(t)

Any suggestions on how to calculate?