How Do You Calculate the Cube Length of Packed Silicon Atoms?

  • Thread starter Thread starter camrysedan92
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
camrysedan92
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
First off, I am glad to be a newbie to the forum. I am a freshman at Colorado State University who is undeclared with a mechanical engineering concentration. In my Chemistry 111 class, I have been practing a practice test online, but the last problem I can't get right. Can anybody show me how to do it? Don't worry about cheating or anything, it is only a practice test and not worth any points.

Question:
A silicon atom-diameter 2.7X10 to the negative 10 meters, and a mass of 4.7X10 to the negetive 23rd grams. they are packed into a cube. What is the length of the cube formed by 1000kg of silicon atoms, packed this way?

the answer is 0.75 meters, but I can't get there, is the problem.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi camrysedan92! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
camrysedan92 said:
A silicon atom-diameter 2.7X10-10 meters, and a mass of 4.7X10-23 grams. they are packed into a cube. What is the length of the cube formed by 1000kg of silicon atoms, packed this way?

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :wink:
 
Hint: try figuring out how many silicon atoms are in 1000 kg of silicon.