How do you control the dosing of powders?

• Thread starter kunalvanjare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to accurately dose a powdered chemical into a liquid tank for their machine design. They mention considering using a hopper or small tank for storage and feeding the quantity into a PLC for automation. Suggestions are provided for pelletizing the ingredient or using a weigh feeder with a stepper motor for powdered ingredients. Additionally, links to various sources for powder dosing solutions are provided.
kunalvanjare
Hello guys. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. I have tried searching for a similar application but couldn't find something that fit my requirements.

My design of the machine requires accurate control in dosing of a powdered chemical into my liquid tank.

The powder will be stored in a hopper or a small tank above the liquid tank. I need to dose accurate (well almost accurate) amounts of the powder as per the quantity of liquid in the tank and some other parameters.

The quantity will be decided by the operator and fed into the PLC. Automation should control the dispensing of powder into the tank.

How do I achieve this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pelletize your ingredient and dose pellets. Alternatively you could dilute the ingredient with another inert powder so that dosing errors are minimized. Stepper motor controlling a screw feed should be all you need for powdered ingredients. You might look at pharmaceutical type solutions and the equipment they use.

Likes berkeman
Search weigh feeder. The first hits are for coal at tens of tons per hour, but they are also made for powders in small quantities.

Some problems of handling fine powders (your application may require much smaller volumes; hence, different problems):

:cool:

• Informative
Likes berkeman and chemisttree

1. How do you measure the correct amount of powder for dosing?

To control the dosing of powders, a precise measurement is crucial. Scientists use various methods such as volumetric measurement, gravimetric measurement, and particle counting to determine the correct amount of powder for dosing. Volumetric measurement involves using a specific volume of powder, while gravimetric measurement uses the weight of the powder. Particle counting measures the number of particles in a given volume of powder. These methods ensure accurate dosing of powders.

2. What factors can affect the dosing of powders?

Several factors can affect the dosing of powders, including the particle size and shape of the powder, the density of the powder, and the type of dosing equipment used. Particle size and shape can impact the flow of the powder, while density affects the weight and volume of the powder. The type of dosing equipment used can also affect the accuracy of dosing, as different equipment may have varying levels of precision.

3. How do you ensure consistency in dosing powders?

To ensure consistency in dosing powders, scientists use a variety of techniques, including regular calibration of dosing equipment, strict adherence to dosing protocols, and frequent testing and analysis of dosed samples. Additionally, using powders with a consistent particle size and shape can also help maintain consistency in dosing.

4. What are the potential risks of incorrect dosing of powders?

Incorrect dosing of powders can have serious consequences, especially in scientific research and manufacturing processes. Overdosing can result in product waste, while underdosing can lead to ineffective or unsafe products. In some cases, incorrect dosing can also cause equipment malfunction or damage, potentially halting production and causing financial losses.

5. How do you adjust dosing for different types of powders?

Dosing may need to be adjusted for different types of powders due to variations in density, flow, and other factors. Scientists can use techniques such as bulk density testing, flow rate analysis, and viscosity measurements to determine the appropriate dosing adjustments for different powders. It is also essential to consult dosing guidelines and protocols specific to each type of powder to ensure accurate and consistent dosing.