Defining Time: What is the True Nature of this Elusive Concept?

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the concept of time has been widely discussed and debated, with various theories such as the thermodynamic arrow of time and the fourth dimension of spacetime. However, a concrete definition of time remains elusive, with some considering it as a measurement of events and processes, while others view it as a fundamental aspect of the universe.
Adam
How do you define "time"?

Another question, maybe a simple one. How do you define "time"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
not a simple question at all.

there have been many postulated "arrows of time" but one of the more well defined ones is the thermodynamic arrow of time in which entropy increases to a maximum.

Any detailed or concrete ideas on scheduling of events/processes?

Space/distance and divided by speed

Time is not easily defined. This probably belongs in the Philosophy forum.

In my first class of Physics, our professor asked "so what is time?" to which I reply "A great Pink Floyd song!" (I wouldn't recommend doing that).

A fundamental aspect of the fabric of the universe.

The fourth dimension of spacetime, the one which is measured by clocks.

Time is a measurement of how fast things happen. You'd have to take things that always happen the same, of course, like the decay of atoms... I think that was it.

1. What is the scientific definition of time?

The scientific definition of time is a measurement of the duration between two events or points in the universe. It is typically measured in seconds and is considered a fundamental dimension in physics.

2. How is time measured in science?

In science, time is commonly measured using a clock or a stopwatch. These devices record the duration of an event or the interval between two events, which can then be used to determine the passage of time.

3. Is time a physical or a man-made concept?

This is a debated topic among scientists, but many believe that time is a physical concept that is independent of human perception. It is considered a fundamental dimension in the universe and is not created by humans.

4. Can time be reversed or manipulated?

According to the laws of physics, time cannot be reversed or manipulated. While time travel is a popular concept in science fiction, it is not currently possible in reality.

5. How is time related to space?

Time and space are closely intertwined and are considered two dimensions of the universe. In the theory of relativity, time is considered the fourth dimension and is affected by the presence of mass and energy in space.