How Do You Determine the Velocity and Angle of a Billiard Ball After Collision?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 13K views
rvnt
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Billiard ball A of mass mA= 0.400kg moving with speed vA=1.80m/s strikes ball B initially at erst, of mass mB=0.500kg.As a result of the collision,ball A is deflected off at an angle of 30.0degrees with a speed v'A=1.10m/s. Taking the x-axis as the original direction of motion of ball A, solve for the speed v'B and angle Θ'B of ball B. Do not assume the collision is elastic.


Homework Equations


px conserved: mAvA=mAv'ACosΘ'A+mBv'BCosΘ'B
py conserved: mAvA=mAv'AsinΘ'A+mBv'BSinΘ'B



The Attempt at a Solution


0.72=0.38105+0.500v'BCosΘ'B
0.338948/0.500=v'BCosΘ'B
0.677897=v'BCosΘ'B
0.677897/CosΘ'B= v'B

0=mAv'AsinΘ'A+mBv'BSinΘ'B
0=0.22+0.5v'BSinΘ'B
-0.22/0.5=v'BSinΘ'B
-0.44=v'BSinΘ'B

-0.44=(0.677897/CosΘ'B)SinΘ'B
-1.5407=CosΘ'BSinΘ'B
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To solve for the angle, use a double angle trig identity:
sin(2θ) = 2 sinθ cosθ
 
Could you help me out with where I have went wrong please? or are my whole calculations incorrect and I should start over? Also, should I try figuring out the angle first or the speed?
 
rvnt said:
Could you help me out with where I have went wrong please? or are my whole calculations incorrect and I should start over? Also, should I try figuring out the angle first or the speed?
My bad. I didn't read your work carefully and just looked at the last line. You were on the right track until that point. That last line was an error.

rvnt said:

The Attempt at a Solution


0.72=0.38105+0.500v'BCosΘ'B
0.338948/0.500=v'BCosΘ'B
0.677897=v'BCosΘ'B
0.677897/CosΘ'B= v'B

0=mAv'AsinΘ'A+mBv'BSinΘ'B
0=0.22+0.5v'BSinΘ'B
-0.22/0.5=v'BSinΘ'B
-0.44=v'BSinΘ'B

-0.44=(0.677897/CosΘ'B)SinΘ'B
That looks OK.
-1.5407=CosΘ'BSinΘ'B
Not sure how you got this from the previous line. Note:
-0.44=(0.677897/CosΘ'B)SinΘ'B = (0.677897)(SinΘ'B/CosΘ'B) = (0.677897)(TanΘ'B)

That will give you the angle; then you can find the speed.