How do you find the gears you need in motors?

In summary, Ramone found a way to make a one-off mould from plasticine, and then fill it with resin or metal-bonding glue to make a strong gear. He will need to find a 3D printer to make the gears for his car repair.
ramonegumpert
Dear Experts

I have this problem for a long time. I always cannot get my project done because parts are not available.

I need gears, eg. Pinion gears of certain size of certain number of teeths and the hole in the middle of the gear need to be of certain size.

How do you normally get the gears you need? eg. Metal or Plastic type.

How to fit such things into the spindle or shaft?

By force?

I have many projects I want to do but always, I do not have the parts.

To order from the net would be very costly.

Please advise.

Thanks very much.

Regards
Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org
You go to an engineering workshop and ask them to make them for you.
Most people start with the standard gears they know they can get and build the project to suit.
Sometimes a standard bit of kit can be modified.

Gears come in many shapes and sizes. What sizes do you want? What is your motor power in watts or horsepower?

Start by looking for old photocopiers, they often have gears in them.
If you have one gear and you want more you can make a silicon rubber mold and cast more in resin.

There are places that sell kits of gears for hobyists...
http://www.hobbyparts.com.au/store/categories/gears/

There will be an RS Components in most countries.
http://australia.rs-online.com/web/...-power-transmission/power-transmission-gears/

Or cheap dead stock such as...
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/253/Gears/1.html

Let us know what you are building and we can help you to find the best way to do it and the bits.

Thank you Simon and Baluncore.

I have approached a RC hobby shop, no cigars. It has different size gears.
Mine is a straight pinion gear. About 10mm in diameter and having 12 teeth. It has a hole in the middle for the axle which is almost 2mm in diameter.

I will search in the websites provided also. I am repairing a children's electric ride-on car.

Looks like I have to get a 3d Printer. haha.

But before that, I will go with Baluncore's idea of DIY. I intend to make a mold using clay and then fill it with resin or some metal-bonding glue.

For resin, not sure which is recommended?

Thanks !

Regards
Ramone

Last edited:
I would make a one-off mould from plasticine. If I wanted to reuse the mould I would use an auto-grade silicon sealant. You will have to work out how to mould the hole for the shaft.

The resin can be 5 minute epoxy. If it needs to be stronger then you can sample a few strands of Kevlar from the cut end of a roll as available from a fibreglass supplier. Chop the strands into very short lengths then mix them into one part of the epoxy, before mixing the two parts. Epoxy bonds chemically to Kevlar fibres so it will be very strong if the resin is well loaded. You could use carbon or glass fibre but probably not as good as Kevlar in this application. There are special lubricants available for plastic gears. There is probably enough lube in an old VCR's mechanical actuator for your epoxy gear.

1. How do you determine the gear ratio needed for a motor?

To determine the gear ratio needed for a motor, you must first calculate the speed and torque requirements of the motor. This can be done by considering the load and desired output speed of the motor. Once these values are known, the gear ratio can be calculated using the formula: Gear Ratio = Output Speed / Input Speed.

2. What factors should be considered when selecting gears for a motor?

When selecting gears for a motor, it is important to consider factors such as torque, speed, efficiency, size, and material. The gears must be able to handle the torque and speed requirements of the motor, while also being efficient and appropriately sized for the application. The material of the gears should also be carefully chosen to ensure durability and longevity.

3. How do you know if a gear is compatible with a specific motor?

To determine if a gear is compatible with a specific motor, you must consider the gear specifications (such as pitch, diameter, and number of teeth) and compare them to the motor's specifications. It is important to ensure that the gear can handle the torque and speed requirements of the motor, and that the gear's pitch matches the motor's pitch.

4. Can gears be modified to fit a specific motor?

Yes, gears can be modified to fit a specific motor. However, it is important to consult with a professional to ensure that the modifications will not negatively impact the performance or durability of the gears. Additionally, modifying gears may void any warranties or guarantees.

5. Are there any specific lubricants that should be used for gears in motors?

The type of lubricant used for gears in motors will depend on the specific application and gear material. It is important to choose a lubricant that can withstand the operating conditions and temperature range of the motor. Consult the manufacturer's recommendations or a lubrication expert for guidance on selecting the appropriate lubricant for your specific gear and motor setup.