How do you get yourslef to sleep easily even thought u are awake

  • Thread starter Thread starter AgentPancake
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    even Sleep
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
18 replies · 3K views
AgentPancake
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
some times I am kept awake till like 1am, oops sry spelling error.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
AgentPancake said:
some times I am kept awake till like 1am, oops sry spelling error.

Reading in soft light always helps me. Avoid the internet, TV or any other screen activity as they will keep your brain far too active.
 
Eat a large high carb meal before going to bed. Not healthy at all, but it often works.

The converse is, if you NEED to stay awake for a long time, eat small meals often, avoid large meals too a lot of carbs.

/Fredrik
 
Fra said:
Eat a large high carb meal before going to bed. Not healthy at all, but it often works.

The converse is, if you NEED to stay awake for a long time, eat small meals often, avoid large meals too a lot of carbs.

/Fredrik

I second that. I find if I avoid large meals at 1pm I don't get the afternoon 'slump' :-)
Small balanced meals is the key for me...

and I rarely eat a big meal when I come home from work at 5pm...that just makes me lazy and wanting to lie on the couch :-)
 
AgentPancake said:
some times I am kept awake till like 1am, oops sry spelling error.

Anything that trends towards sensory deprivation. White noise generators (like fans), extremely dark room, and having a few ounces of something with a light flavor (water, decaffeinated tea, or even milk). My ex used to spray the bedroom with some flowery-smelling stuff in the morning; by night time there was just a hint left; it tended to block out other miscellaneous odors. I always complained, but frankly, it was kind of nice.

If I'm really having a hard time falling asleep, I'll put a heavy pillow over my face to reduce the amount of oxygen I take in. As the carbon dioxide levels rise, you'll find it harder to stay conscious.

Okay, seriously... don't do the pillow thing. That was a joke.
 
I generally just stay in a constant state of sleep deprivation. 5-6 hours per night is normal for me - it's not "my" amount of sleep, but it's the only way I can keep any sort of schedule.

If I went to sleep one night at 11:00 to get 8 hours, the next day I wouldn't be able to sleep until 12:30, then 2:00, and so on.
 
KingNothing said:
I generally just stay in a constant state of sleep deprivation. 5-6 hours per night is normal for me - it's not "my" amount of sleep, but it's the only way I can keep any sort of schedule.

Yeah, I sleep about 6 hour each night and feel fine as a result. If I sleep more, then I actually feel tired when I wake up, like I can't get out of bed.
 
Lie still in bed. At least you'll get some rest if you don't get any sleep. When I have trouble sleeping, I concentrate on pleasant thoughts like sitting by a swimming pool or taking a walk in a garden.
 
Fra said:
Eat a large high carb meal before going to bed. Not healthy at all, but it often works.

Sadly, in years past I did this many times in a pinch. Even worse, I have metabolic syndrome, so when I eat a lot of carbs I crash hard. If I take it too far I end up in extreme low blood sugar, which results in a horrible feeling that can keep you awake.
 
The sleep ingredient in many sleep aid products is an antihistamine. If you don't take it too often, Diphenhydramine, sold as Benadryl, can be quite effective as a sleep aid. For some people it can be extremely effective. The first time I took it, after about an hour I could hardly move!

That is why Nyquil knocks you out. It's the antihistamine. I used to take Nyquil if I was desperate for sleep, but that is bad because of the acetaminophen - not good to take too often or to overdose. Products with acetaminophen (Tylenol), if abused, over time can be suprisingly dangerous.
 
Last edited:
Evo said:
Sleeping pills.

Don't they make you feel weird in the morning, though? I don't like how I feel when I wake up after taking sleeping pills.
 
Evo said:
Sleeping pills.

The sleep-inducing ingredient in Tylenol PM is diphenhydramine, an antihistamine. People take antihistamines for hay fever or cold symptoms, but doctors have known for a long time that they also make people drowsy. Other nighttime pain relievers (Alka-Seltzer PM, Excedrin PM) contain diphenhydramine, and it’s the only active ingredient in OTC sleeping pills like Sominex and Simply Sleep. Sominex and the allergy-relief version of Benadryl have exactly the same active ingredient: 25 milligrams of diphenhydramine.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0805b.shtml
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Anti-histamines are strong stuff. Took them once and got these wacky surrealistic dreams and a delirium when I woke up.