Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have always long sleeping hours? Why?

1. May 11, 2015 #1
    For me, it's ideal to sleep 12 hours. Is it normal? I am like that since my teenage years. When it is less then 11-12 hours I always feel sleepy and it is hard to wake up. This affects my school and social life. Even I sleep earlier I need to get up late. Is there any ideal hours for general or every person has different ideal hours of sleeping? My problem is my routine or it's just what I am? Do I need to break the routine? Maybe? Thanks for the help....

Everybody talks about less sleeping problems or the things less sleeping causes. Now I think it's time to discuss this situation?

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
  4. May 11, 2015 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Sleep requirements vary from person to person. See the National Sleep Foundation for a chart on what is ideal.

If you're falling outside of this, it's a good idea to seek medical advice. Conditions such as sleep apnea can interfere with your ability to get quality sleep. You want to make sure that there's no medical reason for abnormal sleeping first.

Beyond that there are other things you can do to improve the quality of your sleep:
    • Get a proper amount of exercise during the day. Avpid exercise immediately prior to sleeping.
    • Examine and adjust your diet. Foods with high fat content and lots of simple sugars can make you lethargic.
    • Caffeine is not a substitute for sleep. Reduce your intake and avoid it altogether from the late afternoon onwards.
    • As much as possible keep to a regular sleeping pattern. Go to bed at the same time every night.
    • Cut down on "mind racing" by writing out a list of things you need to get done the next day before you go to bed. That way you won't have to lie awake trying to remember them all.
    • Avoid screen time before bed. I don't recall the mechanism behind it, but staring at a bright computer or television before sleeping can interfere with your sleeping patterns. This can also help to avoid things that get you worked up or that are constantly fighting for your attention.
    • Consider your sleeping environment. Is anything waking you up during the night? Do you have a room mate who comes in drunk at three in the morning? Does your cell phone buzz or ring on your night stand whenever you get a text? Getting yourself in a calm, comfortable, non-disruptive environment can help to avoid stimuli that wake you.
    • Keep a dream or sleep journal. This can help you identify things that work or don't work.

5. May 11, 2015 #4
    Making sure your mattress/pillow is right for your body is important too. My grandma slept in a recliner for years and she slept for like a dozen hours as well and had poor energy. My parents bought her a new mattress and a special pillow for her to try. She now sleeps on the bed and only needs 6 hours while having great energy during the day.

6. May 12, 2015 #5
    I have a private house I don't have any roommates. I had before and I totally hated it. That was one of the problems but not now and I was taking some meds(like depression meds). But those things do not exist anymore. I never wake up while sleeping like never... I sleep 12 hours generally without a blink and don't remember any dreams at all. Maybe the problem is computer and television but I can sleep well.

7. Jun 4, 2015 #6
    If you are still taking medicine then these may also cause one to sleep more. Secondly are you the guy on right or left in your profile picture?

8. Jun 4, 2015 #7
    Obviously I am the one on the left because it seems you couldn't understand that I am not taking meds anymore from my post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook