How Do You Solve the Differential Equation kxy = (y+dx)(x+dy)?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter r16
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Diff eq First order
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
r16
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
I have run into this problem solving differential equations of this type (they occur often doing momentum problems):

[tex]kxy = (y+dx)(x+dy)[/tex]

where [itex]k[/itex] is constant. I multiply it out to :

[tex]kxy= xy + xdx + ydy + dydx[/tex]

Regroup and :

[tex]\int {kxy} = \int {xdx} + \int {ydy} + \int {dydx} [/itex] <br /> <br /> I'm left with the term [itex]\int dxdy[/itex] that I don't know what to do with. Am I able to hold either the [itex]dx[/itex] or [itex]dy[/itex] constant and integrate with respect to the other? I am not able to find a transformation that will remove the [itex]dydx[/itex] or [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] or [itex]\frac{dx}{dy}[/itex]. I am also confused about the term [itex]\int kxy[/itex]: integration without respect to a particular differential. How would I solve this differential equation?[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There something wrong with your equation. You can't have "dx" and "dy" mixed like that. If you are dealing with "differentials" dx and dy, it might make sense (but it would just say kxy= xy) but it is certainly not a differential equation.