Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does acetic acid decompose in water and/or steam at temperatures around 250-300C?

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    I'm working on the hydrothermal decomposition of hemicellulose and one of the reaction products is acetic acid. The incomplete reaction model I'm using says 20% of my original hemicellulose is converted into acetic acid. In comparison to other papers this seems to be too high. So were does my acetic acid go?
    I know some H2, CH4, CO and CO2 is produced, but not in what quantities. I thought that detailed reaction kinetics on the subject would be "known", but I'm not able to find it.
    A paper that is close by is: "Renewable hydrogen production by a mild-temperature steam reforming of the model compound acetic acid derived from bio-oil" by Z. Li et al from 2012.
    I'm working on the hydrothermal decomposition of hemicellulose and one of the reaction products is acetic acid. The incomplete reaction model I'm using says 20% of my original hemicellulose is converted into acetic acid. In comparison to other papers this seems to be too high. So were does my acetic acid go?
    I know some H2, CH4, CO and CO2 is produced, but not in what quantities. I thought that detailed reaction kinetics on the subject would be "known", but I'm not able to find it.
    A paper that is close by is: "Renewable hydrogen production by a mild-temperature steam reforming of the model compound acetic acid derived from bio-oil" by Z. Li et al from 2012.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2012 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: How does acetic acid decompose in water and/or steam at temperatures around 250-3

Yours, the incomplete reaction model's or the 'other papers'? Yours, the incomplete reaction model's or the 'other papers'?

4. Aug 29, 2012 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: How does acetic acid decompose in water and/or steam at temperatures around 250-3

ROFL

That's what happens when you post in several places using copy/paste.

5. Aug 30, 2012 #4

Mine in this case is the incomplete reaction model.Mine in this case is the incomplete reaction model.

6. Aug 30, 2012 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, OK! :smile: Seriously though, you don't tell us anything about your reaction model (name, author, basis, etc...), you don't tell us anything about the "other papers" (again, name author, journal reference, etc...) but you want us to troubleshoot or account for differences between them? Take a minute and think about that.

Does your model accurately account for 2-furaldehyde, 5-hydroxymethyl-2-furaldehyde and lactic acid? Do the "other papers" discuss these as well? Is this an oxygen limited system and how is supplemental oxygen handled for your process?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook